It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 23:53

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Trailer story
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 22:35 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hi all, just want share with you my “trailer story”.
As I am planning a long trip in the near future so I decided to take preventive action and replace my old tires and bearings so I could have some piece of mind. I have done some research on prices and I decided to do it at “Trailer Repair Center” in Braeside.
Today I collected my trailer with new tires and on my way back home BOOM! One of the brand new tires exploded. I just paid $500 to prevent this thing from happening!
I called them and told them what happened and they told me to bring the bad tire back tomorrow.
I just realized I don’t know anything about those guys, are they reliable or not, but all this left a bad taste so I don’t think I will be coming back to them again.
One thing I learned today is that there is no such thing as “piece of mind”, anything can happen.

Why I am writing all this, I understand that shit happens but maybe we should make a list for SFD forum of professionals like boat/cars/trailers mechanics that you guys trust them and you know for sure they are doing a good job so if anyone need to fix something he will know where to go especially guys like me who are new to boat/trailers issues.

Cheers,
Alex.

Post subject: Re: Trailer story
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 23:16 
Fanatical Senior Member

Good idea!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 09:06 
Fanatical Senior Member

I got a good "trailer story". I purchased a brand new Dunbier Trailer from the Trailer Repair Centre for the Legendary Boat about 18 months ago. The supports for the rollers kept collapsing and bending as I loaded the boat onto the trailer. I took it back for adjustment and reinforcement over the course of 1 year on approximately 6 occasions and even though they tried there best to fix it (under great sufferance) they where unable to. This was because of the inferior steel they used in construction and the incompetence of the Trailer Repair Centre. Finally Russell Dunbier came down to the Trailer Repair Centre and told me there is nothing more they where willing to do and they where cutting me loose, I would have to sue for satisfaction. Of course they know that court action is to expensive and onerous for such a matter and I decided to take it on the chin. I took it to MacKay for a quote. As they where not "familiar" ( read into that what you will) with the construction of Dunbier trailers they weren't to keen but I managed to persuade (beg) them to fix it. They stripped and discarded all the rollers and supports and fitted it up best they could to their specification, it's now a dream. One more thing, a few months ago one of the tyres exploded as I was travelling. I changed with my spare and once home inspected the tyres to find all of them bulging and deformed. I had all the tyres replaced. The tyre guy said that there are plenty of bad Chinese tyres out there but these represented a new low in tyre construction.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 10:30 
Fanatical Senior Member

To me it seems the best way to avoid getting burnt is to DIY where you can.
Where you can't DIY there is Google to get you started.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 13:53 
Novice Member

As of the start of this year new consumer laws come into effect. If the product purchased is not fit for it's purpose the supplier has 3 chances to repair it. If it still fails the consumer is entitled to a replacement or their full refund. There is a retail consumer ombudsman available for these matters and most will be settled out of court at no cost to the consumer. These are know as the lemon laws in the car industry but cover all retail purchases.

As far as trailer repairs go, I do them myself. I find it is better to give them a good service once a year and change bearings as well as any other parts wearing out.