It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:43

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Speargun for a beginner
PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 14:35 
Novice Member

Hey guys, me and a mate have started spearfishing down near Mushroom reef at Flinders in Victoria. We're using Hawaiian slings at the moment which has been great fun. We're looking to buy some spearguns as there are bigger fish that we constantly see but when we get closer they shoot off. So obviously a gun would make it funner and easier. The depth is usually around 1.5-2.5 m deep depending on tide. The bigger fish that we want to catch are at least 20 cm plus, what speargun would be ideal for this type of spearfishing?

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 14:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

Mushroom reef is a Marine Park, don't spear or fish there. Plenty of spots anywhere to the right that aren't and better diving also.

Don't shoot fish if you don't know what they are, 20cm is undersize for plenty of Vic species. Been pulled up by Fisheries both times I've been the filming.

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 17:01 
Novice Member

haha mate, reading through forums makes me laugh at the amount of people that assume that people spearfishing close to a reef means that they are... were not stupid. that was a generic size of basic reef most which don't have a size limit or are at least 23 cm or bigger.

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 17:15 

Easy mate, Rhino is just trying to give you some advice. Exactly what you asked for. And you'd be supprised how many people are dumb enough to post they are fishing in a green zone.

It doesnt matter what brand really, you dont need to go something fancy for your first gun. youll only need a 1m and youll probably be thanking yourself later if you get something with a euro mechanisim.

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 17:21 
Novice Member

sorry guys. just don't want to be seen as a cowboy! thanks claire, I know the spearo community is very protective which i think is great. me and my mate made sure we did lots of research before we started going to different places to make sure they aren't green zones.
yee we have been looking at 850 cm guns and longer at around 120-250 and there are definitely some out there. just didn't want to go and spend substantial money on a crappy gun! what brands have the euro mechanism?

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 18:01 
Fanatical Senior Member

Yeah mate not calling anyone stupid, just a heads up. In all honesty you should head right anyway, about a K down it get's heaps better.

Do a search on the gun champ then ask when you have a better idea of what your keen on, heaps of posts just like yours and you'll learn heaps while going through all the info.
Picasso Asagai's are hard to beat for a first gun tho!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 09:13 

Hey mate,

Just putting it out there, the vic abalone divers association have some really good maps regarding the locations of marine parks. http://www.vada.com.au/codes.html. Ignore all the abalone specific stuff (its for commercial divers only and doesn't apply to recreational divers) - but it shows you in red where you cant take (anything).

Probably the best source ive found regarding whats marine park outside of the wall of information that is DPI / DSE.

If you're unsure, next time you dive keep your eyes out for a big yellow buoy / yellow triangular signs on the beach. these mark the beginning of a marine park.

For your first gun - as has been said - something that's about a metre (but not too big or it becomes unmanageable) - and doesnt have to be amazing... May I recommend a Mares Phantom? :)

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 12:16 
Novice Member

yeah I'll have to check it out a k down, would blowhole track be a good place to check out? i was looking at the undersea phantom pro rail gun 100 cm, ocean hunter sg speargun 100 cm, beuchat canon speargun 90 cm.

cheers ossk for that website, very handy website. ye we can see the big yellow triangles on shore that we keep well away of! the mares phantom looks really good. would a railgun be ideal for a first gun? they are more expensive but there more accurate I've heard!

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 13:42 
Expert Member (SFD)

just get a euro gun in a 90 or 100cm, will be perfect for Victoria. doesn't need to be a railgun as they are no more accurate.

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 14:17 
Fanatical Senior Member

Octopussy wrote:
doesn't need to be a railgun as they are no more accurate

Hush your mouth!!! Heathen!

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 15:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

Rail guide not essential, but the only option for a gun without a rail guide is a gun with parallel bands closed muzzle (Euro)

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 21:37 

Brett Illingworth wrote:
Octopussy wrote:
doesn't need to be a railgun as they are no more accurate

Hush your mouth!!! Heathen!

Agreed Brett.

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 12:56 
Novice Member

I like the Mares phantom carbon at 95 cm, quite reasonable at $200 and more durable than aluminium. do any stores in victoria sell this gun? cheers for all the help btw

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 14:18 
Fanatical Senior Member

fitzymate wrote:
and more durable than aluminium.
I'm not sure about that, I've never seen a pic of a snapped aluminium gun. Lean on a carbon gun the wrong way as your getting out and it can be all over.

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 14:40 
Expert Member (SFD)

Greg wrote:
I'm not sure about that, I've never seen a pic of a snapped aluminium gun. Lean on a carbon gun the wrong way as your getting out and it can be all over.

Some very good carbon guns are being made these days that are stronger than aluminium guns. But I think the Mares one is coated in plastic anyway, so you might as well get the aluminium one, you aren't going to notice the difference in a short gun