It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:20

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 21:23 
Expert Member (SFD)

I know it's tempting to buy off the net from overseas, but don't do it lads - KEEP YOUR $ IN AUSTRALIA!!!

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 16:56 
Expert Member (SFD)

It turned out to be quite interesting topic here.
IMO competition is a good thing in general.
(I'm in a competitive business myself and know what it means!)
........and if you can't beat price weighted by individual overseas shippment cost, may be your margins are too high anyway!
Personally, I've boght s*#@oads of overpriced gear locally and never once was invited for a ride in the above mentioned boats nor received half decent dive advice.
Having said that, I'm quite happy to buy the newly launched Immersion gear as it looks really good, well priced and the purveyour is such a jolly chap! :D

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 20:36 
Forum Member

touchy subject

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012, 11:45 
Forum Member

Speaking of local businesses, www.divein2scuba.com.au has served me very well. Good communication, very fast delivery, good prices, great service (they chucked in a bag of lollies, a pen and a sticker in with my order! :P )

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012, 09:20 
Novice Member

Had a look at cressi mask local $110 OS $38 .....
cressi gloves local $120 OS $38 ...
i brought both OS items
at the push off a button it turned up at my door .
i did drive 110km round trip to legendary.
for a $290 5mm wetsuit
thanks to TRENT for the great service
i have brought local my whole life but now with a young family and 1 income
cost is the bottom line
i did also brought a HDMI cable for$1.79 at jb was $30
i would rather buy local to keep the $$$$$$$ here
but its all about the money now

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012, 09:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

I don't see much difference in jobs created, shopkeeper or delivery person. If the gear was made here it would be different.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012, 11:19 
Novice Member

Very Touchy Subject. Basically money talks and when it comes to building relationships with local suppliers I'm all for it but as I said if I could save a couple of hundred by buying from the net whether it's from Adreno in Queensland or the land where everything is made, I will. It is just plain naive to think others wont either even if they can't admit it here for fear of hurting someone's feelings.
I have recommended the cheaper OS gear to my friend and also talked him into getting a GO-PRO from OS with all the money he saves on his first kit.

You can also take the hundreds you save to other local "well reputed" establishments and get service with a happy ending. :wink:

PS: I'm sure all the passionate local supporters buy their milk from the local milk bar instead of getting it for the lowest price in town at $2 from Coles.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012, 12:26 

We get screwed on price for everything here.... cars, computers (especially software considering most software delivery is not a store purchased physical product anymore anyway, but rather downloaded - how can a company charge $100 bucks to an Aussie, and $50 bucks to an American when its the same application being downloaded from the same server?! Its not like shipping is even a thing).

Its not even like its the dealer or shop front at fault either - they have to pay for the product at a premium wholesale cost from their suppliers.

For my dive gear I like to buy local (and do) - but like everything else, its pretty hard to hand over the cash when a set of fins cost $300 bucks here versus $95 bucks on amazon. Its almost like the local suppliers don't realize that the AUD is above parity with the USD and has been (or close to) for a while..

Also +1 for divein2scuba.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2012, 14:09 
Forum Member

I'm at a loss here too. About to splurge the hard earned on kitting up from scratch and as a noob I need the good oil.

Really appreciate the advice, service and camaradie (even if it is based on the exchange of $$$ it does mean something) you get from the shopfront....but....while it does feel like you are being a bit sneaky, anti social, dirty even by getting gear via the back door through this here intra net thingy - cash counts.

Cleared my head by writing this. Cos I'm ridiculously new to the sport, I reckon I'll go call at the shop counter. My first foray at Legendary was good. They know stuff, I don't. It's reasonable that I should expect to pay for that.

I wipe my bum on $50 notes anyway.... :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2012, 17:59 
Vic Records Officer

I'm not really going to say too much on this, but buying from a shop has alot of advantages over Internet sales; you can see what ur buying and get a feel for the product. And simply if you don't like the feel you have other things to choose from! I wouldn't buy a mask over the net as who noes if it'll fit your face. Also if you encounter problems down the track it's alot easier and less stressful to go back to a shop then send an item back