It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:21

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Atlantis Vertex Gear ???
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 15:43 
Novice Member

Has anyone had any experience with this gear? Suits and guns look like all the other "brands" we see here but without the crazy 100-200%+ mark-up.
A couple of blokes who are new to the sport and keen to buy some gear put me onto their ebay site and asked if they were any good. I had a look and was impressed by the $$$. They also sell Picasso Black team fins or similar for $80, compared to $200+ on other sites.
A couple of mates are lookin to get started and want to get kitted out for sub 1k and I'm just trying to get some feedback before I recommend this stuff.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/SPLASH-DIVE-EQUIPMENT?_rdc=1

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 18:09 
Forum Member

never tried this gear but at the end of the day u get what you pay for

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 18:47 
Forum Member

Then again, you're not paying for the brand label.

Take a look at the seac python wetty, pretty cheap. seac have quality products don't they?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 19:26 
General Committee Member

Why bother shipping it from NZ when there's plenty of local options to buy quality gear at a good price. Atleast you know where it came from and where to go if there's a problem.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 20:32 
Fanatical Senior Member

If that's not a green handle/Torelli on that gun you can call me wrong along with what ever other name you like. If the guts of it are the same as well then they are probably good guns.

jackcridland wrote:

Nah, at the end of the day you get ripped off in this country.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 22:00 
Novice Member

Greg wrote:
If that's not a green handle/Torelli on that gun you can call me wrong along with what ever other name you like. If the guts of it are the same as well then they are probably good guns.

jackcridland wrote:

Nah, at the end of the day you get ripped off in this country.

Greg I think we are on the same page, a lot of this gear looks familiar. Wouldn't be surprised if all the local "brands" are blind stitch and double glued in China decorated with (insert brand name here) and sold for $600 reduced to $350-$400. Anyway I never heard of the brand and was lookin for some insight.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 23:05 
Expert Member (SFD)

I have bought some gear and accessories off these guys and have been very happy with the service. Haven't bought one of these guns though. I bought all my guns locally (at a premium), so I could get help with setup and maintenance of them.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 09:58 
Expert Member (SFD)

I attached two websites that are fairly cheap.

Brett's Esclapez gear is well priced and for some reason even appears to be cheaper than in Europe, I'd personally buy my fins, wetsuit etc from Esclapez, as you can save on shipping and have the luxury of complaining to someone in person if anything goes wrong.

http://www.megasub.pt The site is in both Portugese and English.

http://www.esclapezaustralia.com.au

Last edited by boy-nato on 24 Jul 2012, 20:45, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 18:19 

It says on the megasub website that they cannot ship any Picasso products to Australia.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 18:33 
Expert Member (SFD)

My bad, best just to have a look through google and see what's out there.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 19:51 
Expert Member (SFD)

Yes you can buy some gear cheaper overseas however I will just point out that doing so definately does not support local businesses. It also does not allow you to build a relationship with the stores that sell this gear and are generally in "the know" about where's fishy..

Bit passionate about the topic because i was employed through Uni by a local spearing company. I don't give a shit who you buy gear off; Legendary, Esclapez, Rob Torelli, Omer Australia, Super Frog, etc etc.. but buy from Australian companies. Yes they have mark ups but they also pay relatively high labour rates compared with other countries. You will get better advice, buy better suited gear, get put on better spots and as a result shoot more fish (IMO).

If you are happy being a weekend warrior and shooting bugger all fish because no one wants to tell you shit that's fine. But the best divers/boats in Victoria (i.e. Brett, Rob, Muzz, Drew, Paul) are brand affiliated and in general you won't get on their boat in a $150 portugal special (Again IMO). Just look at the magazines ever notice it isn't necessarily about what fish you shoot but the wetsuit you wear?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 20:21 
Expert Member (SFD)

Well said Lethal!

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 20:39 
Expert Member (SFD)

I bought all my gear from Legendary (bar one gun) because of the service and advice. If someone else wants to buy OS then that's their prerogative.
Was just letting Wayne know a few places he may want to check out as opposed to ebay.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 22:25 
Novice Member

Yeah look, all my gear was bought from Legendary also including carbon gun and carbon fins so you can imagine the price. I am still happy with my gear though will not recommend gear to newbies that they just cant afford or that makes them question whether or not to take the plunge due to expense.
I would much rather get people into our cold water and hooked on the sport rather than creating a couple of gunna doos who dream of shooting fish.

I have also recommended this site so they will most definitely be reading about local products.

At the end of the day coin is coin and when it comes to buying new gear if I can get similar products and save hundreds then hundreds is what I'll be saving whether it is local or not.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 23:00 
Expert Member (SFD)

Wayne wrote:
At the end of the day coin is coin and when it comes to buying new gear if I can get similar products and save hundreds then hundreds is what I'll be saving whether it is local or not.

You can't buy the relationships you build with local suppliers. Not to mention what they put back into the local community.