It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:10

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Low Volume Masks
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 18:38 

Hey, i did a search and can't find anything resent, can anyone explain the theory behind a low volume mask? does anyone know what volume actually constitutes a low volume?

anyone have any recommendations? i know you have to try them all on for one that fits you but any complete design flaws or pointers would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Low Volume Masks
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 19:36 
Expert Member (SFD)

If I recall correctly the theory is that the increasing water pressure (compression) as you drop affects a lower volume and therefore requires less mask equalisation.

ie say your mask will compress 30% at 10m then to equalise 30% of 1L millk bottle (300ml) will be easier than 30% of 2L milk bottle (600ml). lower volume = less equalisation.

I don't know if there is a specific volume, below which a mask is called 'low volume' but it is a bit of a cinderella game with your face. I went through the whole rack at legendary, found three that worked and one which was like a glove. If it wasn't for the expanding air when you resurface then I don't think I'd need the strap at all.

On a dive once, Dee's missus was having trouble with her mask so I swapped with her. After five minutes I was reminded that silicone skirt masks are awesomely comfortable.

Tint or not to tint, is another question. I'm not sold on tint to filter colours but to hide your eyes from fish is another pro which I have heard people swear by for flighty fish like snapper.

My 2c (where applicable) is trim your beard around the sides of your nose to help it seal......

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 20:00 
Expert Member (SFD)

Air compresses and water does does not. At 10m depth we experience 2 atmospheres of pressure and at 20m it is 3 atmopheres. The air in th mask and your head and lungs compresses as you decend. That is why we need to equalise pressure. The Zero mask claim of not requiring to equalise until 20m is bullshit. Most of us equalise at least 3 times every 10m, sometimes 4. I personally think the slight difference in mask volume makes bugger all difference. Most masks are lowish volume meaning less air out of your lungs required to equalise the mask as you go down. For most divers including me, I doubt you find a distinctive difference in performance. Most fish we spear are in less than 10m of water. Only some divers go further than 15m and there are not many. I believe you should find the mask that fits perfectly and is the most comfortable. That will give you the best experience when diving. If anything the field of view is more important than the volume as long as it fits. My two bobs. Cheers.

P.S. I enjoyed Physics/ Chem and Math at school. :P

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 20:02 
Expert Member (SFD)

Dilwad,
I don't imagine Claire has a beard!

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 22:18 
General Committee Member

Be assured that the diff between a high volume and a low volume mask is very noticeable. About a year ago changed from Picasso Aspetto to a Picasso Halo. I suppose there is actually only a relatively small diff in volume between these two ( Compared to some) . The decrease in mask squeeze with the Halo was obvious.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 22:32 
Expert Member (SFD)

Blacky wrote:
Dilwad,
I don't imagine Claire has a beard!

Reminds me of my favorite beard related quote, "If you dad doesn't have a beard, then you have two mums"

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 23:12 
Expert Member (SFD)

Quote:
the diff between a high volume and a low volume mask is very noticeable. About a year ago changed from Picasso Aspetto to a Picasso Halo. I suppose there is actually only a relatively small diff in volume between these two ( Compared to some)

I agree the difference between High and low volume is a bit, but I believe most these days are low volume anyway. If the difference between volume in the picasso masks is slight then why do you attribute a difference between them to the volume? Would it not be the way it fits your face, the thickness of the skirt, the surface area on your face, how tight you had to have the mask to get a proper seal, how thick a hood you wear with the same strap adjustment? How many beers you had the day before? My head is swollen just thinking this much after 5 bundy cans! :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 23:25 
Expert Member (SFD)

To throw a further spanner in the mix some masks collapse more than others at depth. A mask that collapses probably self compensates to some extent so masks of a similar size might not need similar amounts of air. I like diving in my low volume mask but i think its probably psychological more than anything.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 00:34 
General Committee Member

Its the amount of air I have to put into the mask to stop squeeze and the amount of snot sucked out my nose on ascent. ( Sorry for being crude but honest)

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 09:08 
Expert Member (SFD)

depending on your melon, masks can be hard to get that absolute ideal fit. You can try one in the shop and it feels sensational, but then you dive with it and it leaks and feels shithouse in the water. My advice -when you find that perfect fitting mask, buy 3 or 4 of them!

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 09:21 
Forum Member

For the bearded beauties out there - what's the go?

Vaseline or some hedge pruning?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 10:09 

Claire wrote:
Hey, i did a search and can't find anything resent, can anyone explain the theory behind a low volume mask? does anyone know what volume actually constitutes a low volume?

anyone have any recommendations? i know you have to try them all on for one that fits you but any complete design flaws or pointers would be appreciated.

Of course you need a mask to stick to your face without the strap. Although I used to use a large skirt mask while scuba diving for comfort I now use my Technisub mini for both scuba and freediving. It's the best mask I have had so far for me. But I have a pointy face and it suits me now after a lot of messing about with leaks. It may not suit someone with a wider, fatter face. The silicon is hard in this mask and it took about a season of allowing it to mould to my face until it was really comfortable. But now it's awesome. It can leave a ring around my face for half a day but I think it's worth it because I prefer low profile, not only for the less amount of mask equalisation, but for the dynamics when diving deep and moving my head from side to side in a current, the less amount of mask that can be hit by a wave on the side skirt when on the surface and also the eyes are closer to the glass so periferal vision MAY be improved in some low profile masks. I also have a low profile Mares with a softer skirt as a back-up which is a nice mask and seems to fit most people I lend it to.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 11:47 

I definitely noticed a difference when I swapped from the Mares X-Vision to the Omer Zero3. I haven't taken it deep yet - only about 8 metres, but even shallowish depths I found there was noticeable difference.

Mind you, the X-Vision is a massive scuba mask with huge range of vision, so of course its high volume, and takes a lot to equalize, even at relativity shallow depth. Not to mention its larger profile creates more drag.

I don't know about the difference with the zero3 versus other freediving / spearfishing masks - most of these I imagine would be low volume anyway...the Zero3s main claim is low volume with "larger" range of vision than other masks (though it still has nothing on the X-Vision, but that's the compromise I guess).

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 13:18 
Fanatical Senior Member

rosco wrote:
For the bearded beauties out there - what's the go?

Vaseline or some hedge pruning?

Neither for me mate, in the chop you might have to empty a little out every now and then but I just accept it as part of my dive now. I hear Vas works good but it's never bothered me enough to try it.

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 21:20 
Forum Member

Thanks Rhino, though I may have to give the vas a whirl. I seem to wick a fair bit in.

I'd prune, but The Handbrake thinks my ugly puss is best hid behind the bushes. Such is the price I pay to keep a sex life.

:roll: