It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 01:00

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Muzzles
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 16:22 
Expert Member (SFD)

Sitting around at uni today I got wondering about gun muzzles. Legendary's new muzzle doovy can have a few different fit outs (see attached photo taken from Legendary's FB page) and I though what is the difference between the 'wing' and 'closed' versions. So the question:

Do you find guns with __________ more accurate?

1) rubbers in line with the spear (see 'wing')

2) rubbers in line with the barrel (see 'closed/open')

Attachments:
File comment: Legendary's new muzle
483336_249523641832765_365721337_n.jpg
483336_249523641832765_365721337_n.jpg [ 36.79 KiB | Viewed 3119 times ]

Post subject: Re: Muzzles
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 17:40 
General Committee Member

I used to have a closed muzzle on my Beuchat Marlin, I've since changed to open muzzle and I've found the accuracy to be better.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 17:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

I personally prefer closed muzzles but don't give a flying fuck whether rubbers are in line or not. Most of my guns don't have inline rubbers, but I can pick the eyeballs out of a KGW at distance, My new Exium has inline rubbers and I can do the same,.....so........I don't care.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 18:31 
Fanatical Senior Member

Fashion is a funny thing. I think just keeping it as small as possible to make the gun more manoeuvrable is all that matters.
I can't hit KGs in the eyeball but in the head is good enough. That's why prangers where invented.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 19:14 
Novice Member

shoot kgw in the eye ball :shock:
i can barely shoot them in the ass brett :roll:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 19:22 
Expert Member (SFD)

Rocket wrote:
shoot kgw in the eye ball :shock:
i can barely shoot them in the ass brett :roll:

Maybe you got the wrong muzzle / rubber combo?

I reckon if it's a rail gun then it doesn't matter where the rubbers are aligned but if it's a pipe gun the extra eccentricity of not having the rubber and spear aligned could mean the spear might not fire straight.

However as long as that gun shot consistently then I'm sure you could get used to it and learn to compensate to shoot a spear up the arse and out the eye of a whiting.

I'd be interested to know in Legendary's pipe vs rail comparison test if their pipe gun muzzle had the rubbers aligned or not. Anyone know the gun / muzzle used?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 21:59 
General Committee Member

I always use a closed with a pranger as it locates the spear better when removing suborn fish. I also loop the shooting line over a pin then over the spear just like an open muzzle when stalking flighty fish.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 01:19 
Novice Member

dilwad wrote:

I reckon if it's a rail gun then it doesn't matter where the rubbers are aligned but if it's a pipe gun the extra eccentricity of not having the rubber and spear aligned could mean the spear might not fire straight.

I agree about the tube guns, but for rail guns I prefer the angled rubbers. The small angle would impose a small downwards force near the rear of the spear. Because the notch is located partway in from the rear of the spear (not the extreme rear) then the entire length of the spear would be held against the speargun, reducing the chance of the spear to rise off the rail. This would be good for railguns but, as you mentioned dilwad, maybe not so good for tube guns. The only negative of angled rubbers might be reduced power and increased friction between shaft and tube, but I think these would be negligible.

The inline rubbers may experience some "bounce" between the rubber / shaft / tube because we don't live in an ideal world where theory = reality (ie. straight shaft, straight rubber, straight tube does not equal straight shot). That's why angled rubbers might be a good idea.

The idea of having the closed or winged muzzle with huge clearances above the shaft, in terms of accuracy, doesn't make much sense. It must be there to allow for thicker shafts, because ideally the opening should be smaller.

The open head looks good (no room for movement of shaft), but it's hard to tell how long the line would stay tight against the shaft after being fired.

The magnitude to which these concepts impact the speed and accuracy of the fired spear is unknown to me. Anyone got a super slow-mo camera?

So that's my chop at the concepts. They're only theoretical. As for experience with and the feel / handling of the guns ask the pros because I'm a spearo noob. As you guys have said, if you can hit a target consistently, then who cares!

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 14:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

The muzzle we use in the test was a euro (in line rubbers).
As Brett said it doesn't matter, they are all accurate if everything is balanced, mass/ power, spear length /gun length spear /flopper straightness, crimped correctly, etc. I use a simple pipe gun with closed muzzle for comps and are 100% confident in it's accuracy. I know when I miss its because I have pulled the handle (should of squeezed) or aimed with the gun fully extended and its wobbling around (should draw and shot in a fluid motion) or the fish is just smarter than me.