It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:41

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 17:00 
Novice Member

Hey guys,

I've been doing some research into buying my first speargun. I have come to the conclusion from forums on this website and other reviews that the Picasso Asegai (90) is what I should be looking at.

However, in comparing prices from online sellers, I have discovered huge price differences. At Legendary its $298 and on oceanhunter.co.nz its $108 (NZD$140). From the pictures i can see that the muzzle is different, so does this mean that there are many different models? And which one should I be going for?

These are the links to the two guns.

- http://www.legendary.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=52_53&products_id=100
- http://www.oceanhunter.co.nz/shop/Products/Spearguns/-11573.html

Thanks in advance

Sage

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 17:05 
Forum Member

buy what ever you can afford

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 17:38 
Vic Records Officer

The one from legendary is a bulk rubber muzzle and the other one your looking at is a euro muzzle, they both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Personally speaking if you have troubles with something purchased over the net then you have to deal with it over the net rather then being able to take it back to where to you purchased it.
But that's my opinions! And I would also be going the 1m gun.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 17:49 
Fanatical Senior Member

These are TOTALLY different guns. Different barrels, muzzles, bridles and shafts. The Legendary product is far superior.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 19:35 
Forum Member

Not blowing smoke here, but I had a minor issue with my new gun that I bought from Legendary and they fixed it pronto. Good people.

If I had of got it off the intranet I would still be spewing.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 23:15 
Novice Member

Alright thanks for the response guys. Will take it all into consideration.

Watto wrote:
And I would also be going the 1m gun.

Watto, i have heard mixed things about lentgh. It will be my first speargun, i have previously used a sling. Ive heard that it is harder to manouveur the 100, and that starting out on a 90 would be easier. Whats your opinion?

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 23:37 
General Committee Member

go with the 1m

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 00:32 
Fanatical Senior Member

If you get the 90 you'll wish you had the extra range, especially if your starting out.

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 21:09 
Expert Member (SFD)

Agree with the 1m option. I bought a 90cm Asegai and feel that little bit more would be nice, don't believe 10cm reduces your manoeuvrability to much at that length. I did upgrade the rubber to a 19mm. I dropped the shaft dia by 0.5mm too. Shoots really nicely.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 18:47 
Administrator

Fairly sure the model advertised in the New Zealand site is the older model of Asegai, which Picasso no longer makes and hasn't for a couple of years now (maybe 1 1/2 years). The one at Legendary is the newer model, it has the same mech and handle as the old Asegai (although the mech is rounded on the top not flat!). The bulk version has a built in rail, while the old one is a simple pipe gun. The new one has a bulk muzzle and a spring steel spear while the old style has a euro muzzle and a stainless steel spear.
Big question: what's better? They both shoot spears straight, who gives a shit. A bit of personal preference.

Don't quote me on Picasso no longer making the euro style however, i may be wrong there, but they definitely are no longer imported to Australia as a railed-bulk style is much more popular.