It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 02:41

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: mares guns
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 19:43 
Forum Member

any1 used or own a mares speargun? im after a new 110 and thinking about getting a mares after any feedback cheers

Post subject: Re: mares guns
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 22:04 

My first gun was a mares fv phantom, was fine.
I'm keen to give one of bretts exclapez guns a go, going to buy one of them next

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 10:26 

I've got the 95 and the 110 of the phantom carbon model (bought the 95 first, and then the 110 a few months later cos my fiancee sometimes comes spearing with me). Pretty decent guns, certainly a lot better than the aluminium one I had used previously. They glide through the water well, are fairly light - and IMO very good guns for the price. I think the only difference between the carbon and the FV is the handle and muzzle, and theres a strip of carbon somewhere in the barrel.

Seems to be quite accurate (or maybe Im just improving...), decent range - the 110 has a bit more power / range behind it than the 95, but not too noticeable a difference.

Welcome to come give one a crack if you're down geelong / queenscliff way.

Ive been told that they cant be double banded with anything more than 16's. Apparently the trigger mech cant take more than that. Other than that, couldnt be happier with them

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 17:13 
Forum Member

sweet im tossing up between one of them or a torelli tigon

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012, 07:41 
Fanatical Senior Member

If these are your choices then IMO, Tigon wins.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012, 08:58 
Forum Member

I got a torelli tigon 100cm just a couple of months ago and went straight down the beach to give it a go. Got in the water, loaded it up and, with patience, swam around looking for a fish big enough to have a shot at. There were many zebs around and I zeroed in on a fat one, taking easily a couple of minutes I finally hit the trigger and I hit the bloody thing, amazing! I was stoked and started laughing to myself. First ever gun, first load and first shot and got a fish. Quickly taking my knife to it to finish it and I'm over the moon. The ensuing comedy taught me many lessons. Where do I put the fish? Well it got stuffed up the front of my wettie and without realising, I'm tangled up. Floundering about for a minute or two, I'm untangled and reloaded, swimming back to shore I come across a small plastic bag, take aim at it and shoot it for practice. So the gun seems to shoot very well if you take your time and aim straight and in range. 100cm Torelli Tigon is highly recommended by me. Oh, the zeb was delicious too.