It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:18

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: In & Out of Kayak
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2012, 08:51 

On a whim, I purchased an inflatable Seak Kayak at Anaconda because it was half price. It is a single seater and weighs 14kgs. I was wondering if anyone has any experience and can give some advice on the pitfalls and how to get in and out of the kayak while diving. Should I keep my weight belt and fins on? Should I use a small anchor or keep the kayak as a float attached to the gun? I have attached a pic from the net of a double seater that is similar.

Attachments:
seak kayak.jpg
seak kayak.jpg [ 83.93 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

Post subject: Re: In & Out of Kayak
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2012, 09:41 
Expert Member (SFD)

I've been dabbling with an inflatable yak as well. Wearing your belt seems to be the most secure spot to store it, fins strapped behind you, guns strapped beside you. I anchor mine with a picasso belt anchor and float rope, then dive nearby with a reel gun. Cray bag keeps the rope and anchor neat while on the move. Strap anything down you want to keep, and take a tall dive flag - boats move quick.

Attachments:
13523273681481.jpg
13523273681481.jpg [ 47.15 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2012, 10:51 

Thanks Kiwi. Yours seems to be quite a good sit-on kayak and mine is a sit-in kayak. I went this way so I could throw fish in it when using it as a float but it may not perform very well in chop or swell. Any tips on getting in and out?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2012, 15:33 
Expert Member (SFD)

Mine are designed for bubble divers so are quite rigid and stable - I just clamber on and off the side. Yours might flex a bit if more especially if you compress one of the big side tubes, you might just have to try it and see.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 18:47 
Novice Member

Salt.
Any reviews on the inflatable? Also (if you don't mind answering) what is your rough weight/height since i'm looking to get into a Kayak and an inflatable looks like a decent option but only if it'll hold me (i'm 110kg and 6"2, so size is an issue).

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 09:14 

Remoah wrote:
Salt.
Any reviews on the inflatable? Also (if you don't mind answering) what is your rough weight/height since i'm looking to get into a Kayak and an inflatable looks like a decent option but only if it'll hold me (i'm 110kg and 6"2, so size is an issue).

I'm about 12kgs overweight at 90kgs and 175cms. But, then again, I always say, "never trust a skinny spearfisherman - he obviously has to work too hard for his tucker". 8) I haven't tried the kayak yet. It takes 120kgs safely according to the instructions so it might be too small for you when loaded up with gear and weight belt. I reckon it will be used mostly for calm days on the bay. On reflection, kiwi's set up is far better and more stable for ocean. His is designed for scuba and a sit-on kayak (but more expensive I imagine), meaning waves can crash over the bow and not get filled with water. I bought mine to chuck fish into to keep away from stingrays, sharks etc and plan to put a soft esky towards the front if I dare go to the ocean to keep fish away from seals who would just jump into the kayak, eat all the fish then chew a hole in the pontoon and swim off waving their fins merrily. As I said, I bought it without thinking when I was in Anaconda because it was cheap at half price and it might be useful for lazy days down the front beach on the peninsula over Xmas for myself and my young cousins and niece. Anaconda also had a double seater version that was 20kgs. I chose the single seater at 14kgs so I could carry it over my shoulder in the bag down to the back beaches and inflate on the shore. But it would need to be one of those dead flat days over summer I reckon to be safe.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 09:51 

Put the inflatable kayak to the test last week in calm conditions in the bay. Drifted with the kayak connected to my gun from Rosebud to Tootgarook out from the boat ramp. I was about a kilometre off shore in about 20 feet of water. Very barron until I got to Tootgarook where there was some weed patches and shoaling and some nice big fat snook. But drifting too fast really to lie on the bottom and lure in some whiting. I gave it a go but only managed to attract a stingray and wrasse and a curious snook. Luckily a SW wind picked up and it blew me back to Rosebud in close. A nice test run for the yak and I figured out a good set up and it was easy to get in and out of. I was able to attach my boogie board float with soft esky to the back and used a float line and drop anchor. After about 4 and ahalf hours I stopped in close at Rosebud and nailed a nice flattie in the shallows and had an even bigger flattie come in and chomp up berley mid water within about 2 feet from my shoulder. I tried to angle the gun but it was too close and took a rash dumb shot and missed. Oh well. But I still wouldn't dare take the inflatable out in windy conditions or with much chop or swell. Good fun all the same.

Attachments:
kayak2.JPG
kayak2.JPG [ 47.62 KiB | Viewed 2484 times ]
Kayak.JPG
Kayak.JPG [ 43.74 KiB | Viewed 2484 times ]