It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:57

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 18:42 
Fanatical Senior Member

I use Cressi spider gloves, they are unbelievably comfy but they don't last as long as many others I will admit. When it comes to knives I like a razor sharp blade over serrations but I burley with urchins and the guts and other waste from my catch most of the time. when I burly with fish I cut a cross hatch on the side and start slicing along the length of the fish. a sharp knife does that really well.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 18:59 
Expert Member (SFD)

Probably the most important piece of equipment is a really reliable digital camera. So when you spear that massive 6-7ft gummy, you can take nice clear pics of it. Also a computer is necessary to store images on. In 25yrs time you would hate to have an old school slide somewhere at mums of that dream fish that you couldn't find. Even worse you would hate to claim to have landed such a prestigious fish only to be found out later that you were completely bullshitting about the whole thing.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 20:31 
Fanatical Senior Member

Bahhahaha no offense Greg but fark did I just piss myself laughing!

Get a serrated knife, you'll be glad you did. I agree with Greg on the spider gloves too, best all round gloves I've worn by far except for crays. Only learn that lesson once!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 21:16 
Forum Member

Haha Greg! I have a good camera with a waterproof housing but i dont have anyhting to mount it on so its a pain to take with me.

This may be a stupid question but why do you need gloves for crays? do they have venomous spikes or something?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 22:55 
Fanatical Senior Member

Not venomous but very sharp and plenty of em. Pretty much every cray dive you come out with a few nice scratches even with good gloves. You'd tear you hands to shreds without em! Google a pic of em, you grab the base of the "antennae" to pull them out which is actually called the rostrum.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2012, 10:34 
Expert Member (SFD)

Cressi Spider gloves use to be good...they were made in CHINA and blind stitched and sealed very well over the stitching. New pair I just got are made in Cambodia and have crappy unsealed stitching that's started to pull after one dive. These are the 2mm version.
So, if you are looking at getting spider gloves look on the inside of the palm and see where they are made first.

What float and Flag have you got Jaka?

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2012, 14:19 
Expert Member (SFD)

Get hold of Brett Illingworth! He will gear you up with what you need and won't damage your account to badly. Highly recommend the labrax gloves if that's what your mainly after. Get on his website and check out the gear.
Cheers
Herman

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2012, 19:53 
Forum Member

My float is a small round foam bouy, and it has a pole through the middle with rope holding it securely and a dive flag ontop of the pole and a weight on the bottom to keep it upright. I just feed that float on my rope and im good to go.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 19:35 
Novice Member

Hey ppl. I'm starting to get serious into spearfishing. I have done it recreationally with a hand sling or crappy guns. I'm looking at getting a new speargun, I have looked at torelli and rob Allan but there a bit pricey from at the moment. Can anyone tell me a good intermediate speargun for a reasonable price. I don't want Chinese crap. I was looking at a gun called a Dmart seahunter 110 cm.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 20:13 
Fanatical Senior Member

Never heard of em which would be enough to steer me away. I think adreno are selling asegai's for about the same price which are an awesome gun to start with!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 21:06 
Forum Member

Slingin is good fun! I bought a cheap sling from Anaconda for $10 and its been awesome! Would love to buy a speargun tho.