It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:23

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 23:30 
Forum Member

Hey guys I recently purchased a 90cm Picasso Scorpion speargun as a spare and for bay diving(90cm was the only size left). The gun I have been using for a couple of years now is a 100cm freedivers protege. So I thought I might write a review/comparison of the two, maybe helpful to someone in the market. Both guns are more of the 'budget' orientated, and both are rail guns. The protege has a winged muzzle and the scorpion has an open muzzle. The protege is a south african style gun while the scorpion is a euro style. I bought the scorpion as a spare gun so I can lend to a mate or whatever when I go diving, I got a good deal on it. Please note I never used a 'high end' gun, because I cant afford it, or cant justify spending 600 bucks or more on one. I would like to though, lol.

After using the picasso, I have found it to be quite a nice little gun for the bay, and may even prefer it to the freedivers for fish such as snapper. The protege has a 7mm shaft I think with 16mm rubber, the scorpion has a 6.5mm shaft with an 18mm rubber. The little scopion packs a decent punch, and may even be a bit quicker than the protege. I think the open muzzle is quiter as I have noticed the fish dont bolt the second you hit the trigger. The open muzzle is a bit fiddly to reload but once you get used to it its ok. The trigger also seems to be much better quality on the picasso, the freedivers has jammed on me on numerous occasions.

Im going to add a second rubber to the protege and see how it goes. All in all the picasso is a little ripper, I bagged a nice snapper with it the other day and I swear if it was the protege it would have bolted the second I hit the trigger from the noise of the gun. And that split second is all they need to bail!! I think the picasso has a much quiter trigger/rail action, which is a huge advantage. The picasso is also lighter and is much easier for tracking. The freedivers is much faster loading and feels more rugged, but definatly less weildy. They are both good guns but yeah quite different to use. Just my thoughts on them anyway, I hope this comparison helps someone lol.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 04:04 
Novice Member

what aussie shops sell picasso guns? I can't seem to find any local retailers?

TIA