It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:26

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 15:12 
Novice Member

Hey guys,
I noticed it's been a while since a newbie plagued you with this question, so here we go: What speargun can I buy that is both cheap and has super-duper magical qualities?

I'm looking to try out spearfishing.
I only have the rest of January before I go back to uni.
I have $100-200 to spend. Next Summer, I'll be able to buy something shiny from Legendary. ; )
I either have to buy something cheap now, or wait another year (sadface) to try spearfishing.

I'm looking to avoid something terrible, but having said that, I don't expect to start spearing like a pro. If I could spear one little fish (that is also within the minimum size requirements <_<) then I'd be thrilled. I just want to get experience using a gun that isn't terrible!

I'm planning on buying one from Geelong Dive Shop which is close to me.

I'm looking for a 90-100cm gun that I can chest-load.
I'm not sure how much upperbody strength I have to load one, that's clearly something I'll have to try out in the shop for
myself.

I plan to shoredive in Queenscliff/Great Ocean Road areas.

These are the guns that I'm considering:

Ocean Hunter SG-S Spear Gun
This one I could get the 100cm one for about $115. So obviously this one appeals in terms of price range.

Ocean Hunter SG Spear Gun

So thanks in advance for helping the newbie out!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 20:39 

People say for these waters you want something around the 100cm mark (95-105ish). Any bigger it gets unmanageable around shallower reefs. Any smaller and you'll find its a bit underpowered.

Down at that price range, I'd be inclined to say get the Rail gun version....http://www.divein2scuba.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=279.

I'm not sure if there's better for cheaper, but tbh I'm not a fan of the Ocean Hunters. You might pick up something half decent with legendary sales or something.

Add 100 bucks, you'd be able to get something like the Mares Phantom (excellent gun for the price).

Any gun at that barrel length, you might have issues loading. My fiancee uses a Mares Phantom 95, which I downgraded the powerband on from a 19mm to a 16mm so she could actually load it (there was a thread on it somewhere on here). The gun still performs really well, but its just a bit easier on her.

GDC is a really good store, Dave will look after you.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 01:24 
Fanatical Senior Member

Ladyjiles

My girlfriend Carly is new to the sport and i consider myself a newbie as well but i used to freedive quite a bit long time ago but just for stuff with shells and legs. But i hadn't had a hell of lot of experience with spearguns and had never owned one.
When first looking for a speargun I did a lot research going through all the posts of newbie's which received quite a bit of helpful advice from most of the spearos on this site. The best advice was talking to Claire who I met at one of the SFD meetings in dandenong. She gave me similar advice to what Ossk said below regarding the 16mm bands.

[quote]Any gun at that barrel length, you might have issues loading. My fiancee uses a Mares Phantom 95, which I downgraded the powerband on from a 19mm to a 16mm so she could actually load it (there was a thread on it somewhere on here). The gun still performs really well, but its just a bit easier on her.[quote]

So went into Legendary asked there advice and they went down a similar line to what Claire had said. Now Carly is a small chick but is quite strong coming from a rock climbing background and beats me up all the time, so she had a go of pulling back my 19mm band on my 1m gun in the store but struggled. (Warning do not load a gun out of water). Now mind you it will be a bit easier when in the water, and with proper technique, and bands getting less restrictive over time you could probably pull back 19mm band on a 1m gun. But we went with what she could use straight away which was a Picasso Asegai 90cm gun with 16mm band. Anyway the funny thing is that i liked Carly's gun so much that I have now downgraded to 90cm gun with 16mm band. Her gun is great she loads it herself and mine too. :cry: Shot her first fish the other day. A gun this size will get you plenty of fish just ask Brett he uses a 90cm (He offers good advice and sells guns too - Escalpez).

Anyway can't help you with the exact brand of gun I'll leave that too the guys that sell them for a living but hopefully I as well as Ossk have helped with size and bands.

Geoff

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:05 
Novice Member

Thanks guys, you’ve been a big help.

Yeah Ossk I read through your thread multiple times. : D
Sounds like 90cm is the way to go for me.

The 16mm band refers to the band’s thickness, right?

I would love the Mares Phantom, but it doesn’t look like I can afford it right now. This is more a toss up between getting a speargun, or going without, and frankly I really want to give it a go so I may just risk getting an Ocean Hunter.

Ossk, my understanding of a rail gun is that there’s a guiding track along the entire barrel, rather than just in the center, which helps increase accuracy. Which makes it tempting... but the railgun is getting close to $160, which I’m unwilling to pay for a no-brand gun.

Dave at GDC seemed uncertain that a girl could load a 90cm, but it sounds like I’d need that length gun much for the waters I want to dive in. The question is whether a shorter barrelled gun (<90cm) with a 19mm band is “as powerful” as a longer, 90cm gun with a 16mm band.

The Mares Phantom FV 95 looks a dream, and I would love to get it if I could afford it! Or anything in that price range for that matter.*dreamy sigh*

I may just go to GDC and buy the shiniest one there.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:19 
Novice Member

And I guess if I was fish, I wouldn't be as concerned with the brand of the gun so much as whether it was pointed at me.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:31 

Yeah, 16mm refers to the bands thickness.

You are correct. A railgun has a track that the shaft sits in, the idea being that this guide doesn't allow the spear to flex as much when fired, increasing accuracy and power (apparently). Some people swear by them, others think that its a load of bollocks. I've never owned a gun that isn't a railgun / enclosed track gun, and only used a non-railgun a hand full of times, so I cant really compare the differences that well, but for my money I'd go the rail gun.

The question of you bring able to load it depends how big / strong you are I guess.... My fiancee is 182cm, so shes got the reach, just not the strength to load the larger guns with a 19mm band on it. In her words it was "Almost, but not quite". 16mm bands she can do with relative ease.

If you do get a 90, put a 16mm on it (if it doesnt come with one), and find you still struggle, you can always downgrade it to single / twin 14's.

If you cant afford the 'nicer' guns, just get whatever, bash around the shallows for a bit with it, have some fun, and get something better when you can.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:37 

Forgot to say - of equally high importance is a float & flag. Lots of boats around this time of year.... not all of them on a keen lookout for divers in front of them. You need to be as visible as possible.

Flags don't stop some idiots though. Out at queenscliff a few weeks back, and three kids hit the water as we were coming in. They were doing the right thing - floats and flags. Easy to spot em. Some idiot on a jetski screamed past them at 25 - 30 knots, within 30 meters of their flags. Makes me sick.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 19:48 
Fanatical Senior Member

Loading a longer gun is as much technique as strength. Blokes shorter than me can load 1.4m blue water canons. I think a 90cm gun is getting a little short unless your in dirty water and that for a first gun in Vic a 1m gun is what you want. That extra little bit of range can come in handy when your chasing pinkies and other fish that are hard to get in close.
Just about any gun will be accurate, rail or not. What matters is the quality of the build and materials used. Good spring steel shafts will outlast cheap stainless ones by miles. Good spears are something you don't find on the cheaper guns.
I've only seen a couple of Ocean Hunter guns and they aren't something I would suggest, save your pennies and get one from a recognised brand, a good gun bought second hand will outlast a cheap one bought new and will certainly perform better. If your handy with wood or no someone who likes to eat fish that is a bit of a handyman another option is to buy a good mech and spear and make the rest.
16mm bands go great with a 6.5mm shaft which is plenty for most Victorian fish, if you want more power on a thicker shaft you can double them. I use twin 16s on my 1.2 with a 7mm shaft and leave one slack if I'm shooting into a cave. Even at full range 1 16mm rubber goes through most fish.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 23:42 
Novice Member

Thanks guys, you've been great.
Yes I imagine that it comes down to skill more than the gun.
Still, I don't like the idea of buying a gun now, and then another one a year down the track.

Had a talk to the folks, turns out I have a budget of $300, but I'd like to keep it to the $250 mark.

Imersion Challenger Spear gun ($169.95) looks alright for a beginner speargun. I just hope it's better than an Ocean Hunter, which is a lot cheaper.

I can afford the Omer Cayman 2000($240), but I read on a different thread that it's not well built.

Otherwise I may fork out for a Mares Phantom FV 95 ($280), mainly because I've heard of a lot of people that have used them and have given good reviews.
(95cm is also right in between the 100cm that people recommend for our waters, and the 90cm that some women seem to use, so I find that appealing.)

It's occurred to me to buy one of the more expensive ones... but while "you get what you pay for", some brands like Omer may cost more anyway, right?

Any final thoughts before I buy my first spear gun?

(And a float and flag for sure!)

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 19:55 

I haven't heard much about the Immersion tbh either, but looks to be quite a bit better than the ocean hunter.

Funnily enough, first hit when you google "Imersion Challenger review" is this forum!

http://www.southernfreedivers.org.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2499

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 13:32 
Novice Member

Yep, I already read that thread Ossk, I was planning on buying a Challenger based on that thread :)

GDC didn't have any Challengers left, I ended up getting an Omer Cayman 2000.
Tried it out at Queenscliff, vis was terrible, but still had fun shooting it.
Seems like a nice gun, cost me a good $300 so I hope it lasts.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 14:57 

You can load it no worries?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 19:36 
Novice Member

Only just!
It's only 75cm, and with a 16mm band. While I don't like to admit it, that's all I could even remotely load.

I have bruises from loading it a few times yesterday. Worth it :D

It's the first speargun I've ever fired, but it fires beautifully! I was expecting massive recoil, but it was more like firing a paintball gun than anything.

I guess it's time for me to find another beginner spearfisher to dive with!

Thanks again for the replies. If I'd known I'd end up spending $300 on an Omer, I wouldn't have bothered asking about the Ocean Hunters!

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 19:44 

Once you get the technique down you'll be loading that gun piss easy. Then you'll be looking for a 100cm gun....lol

Edit: You shouldn't have any issues with the quality of the Omer, and it's certainly much better than an Ocean Hunter.

Last edited by Dale on 11 Jan 2013, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 19:53 
Fanatical Senior Member

Good to here that youve got finally got a gun. The loading will get easier most of its technique, but the rubber will loosen up. Its taken Carly a few dives but shes getting used to it. Good luck with the shooting.

Geoff