It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:03

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Pyle Snorkel Master
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 18:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

That watch looks its got the internals of the Sporosub/Omer watch. They have had terrible problems with reliability.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 16:14 
Fanatical Senior Member

My Omer has more hours than probably any on this forum ( and probably any other forum ) and it has been great. Batteries don't last long though. My Suunto prior to this was also VG but more difficult to read and it had a spastic strap. All offerings from every company are worth owning if their functions satisfy your needs. Make a list of desirable features. Match them against that which is available and buy the one which suits BEST.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 18:55 
Novice Member

Blacky wrote:
It is a waste of time having a watch which doesn't log surface time. Surface time is the main reason to have one. Especially given resent events where someone in our club nearly lost their life due to trying to stay down to long and watch watching. Life isn't always about what costs less, it's about quality.
3min is a bloody long time to be underwater on breath hold, either your and amazing athlete or full of shit.
Please refrain from putting max times crap on the forum as I don't want to see anyone die from pushing the limit. And certainly don't want novice divers thinking it's important, because it isn't. You don't have to hold your breath more than a minute to spear amazing fish.

No worries blacky, thanks for the concern there mate, and I respect what your saying. I can tell your quite passionate about it. To clarify that's me on my arse on the couch doing tables. Pushing that shit out in the big blue just gets everyone into trouble.

No lets lower some blood pressures and try to get back to a unbiased review on a cheaper alternative dive computer.

Cheers
Chris.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 15:19 
Novice Member

Ok,

So after flogging the Pyle watch for a week up in Port Douglas, all I can say its a good little no frills computer. It does exactly as advertised - nothing more.

In the pool training on the fresh water setting the depths were accurate, temp was (or seemed) a little off on the higher side but close enough to say the pool was decidedly cold (21 deg). But Im a sook.

In the ocean on salt setting, depths were within 0.5-0.8m when checked off a scuba depth gauge, so it probably was accurate enough and it wouldn't surprise me if the scuba gauge was slightly off as well. Water temp was a balmy 26 degrees which again seamed a little high but no complaints.

Things that it seriously lacks as a safety device.

1. Surface timer
2. Depth alarms

I missed the depth alarms the most, my sense of depth when freediving without rope is pretty bad especially in crystal clear water. Its feels so easy when your nice a calm to just keep going....but in reality you know you need to do nothing more than turn around and head back.

I dont push myself with multiple dives when freediving so I didnt miss the surface timer that much, but I would defiantly use it when spearing, or more so when bashing crays/abs.

In summary.
If you want a simple dive watch thats cheep. Roll the dice and go for it. I used Amazon and got one for $98 delivered
If you want a dedicated freedive computer, dont waste your time and hard earned.