It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:38

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 12:27 
Novice Member

Hey all i need some advice. I keep losing my bloody dive knife every dive. The knifes are not cheapos, its usually the knife doesnt clip in properly or the strap breaks. Have it on my belt at the moment but its not comfortable and i got it stuck on a rock the other day and snapped another strap. Any reccomendations am on my 6th knife :roll:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 13:05 
Vic Records Officer

Torelli knife with grab straps and just put it where you feel it's comfortable, bicep/forearm/leg
Just leave it unclipped from the holder and use the elastic it comes with to keep it in place.
Haven't lost a knife yet.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013, 22:02 
Forum Member

Inside of your lower leg/calf, so the float line is less likely to to pull on it or bicep as watto mentioned for quick access.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013, 23:02 

I've got an Ocean Hunter Assassin (Omer Laser copy) at the moment - its quite a small knife, and hugs pretty close to the body. Its not uncomfortable (the hilt doesn't dig into me or anything like that). The sheath itself threads onto the belt, and I've got it tucked between two weights. Been that way for about 10 dives now, going into caves and what not, and so far so good.

Personally I hate the leg sheaths - I cant ever get the knife to sit right on my calf and I find its a pain in the ass to retrieve and re-sheath.

Before that I had a very cheap Ocean Hunter redback (?) and had the sheath cable tied to a weight. Never lost that knife, but it was a piece of crap so I got a new one.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 01:04 
Fanatical Senior Member

Arm for safety, if you get stuck there's a better chance you'll be able to reach your arm than leg!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 08:49 

After losing a knife at Sorrento looking for crays, I've re-thought my knife set up. I realised that only one knife on my right arm was dangerous. I'm left handed and grab the fish by the gills in the right hand and grab the knife and iki with my left. It's served me well. But what if my left arm gets stuck or tangled? I couldn't grab my knife. So now I have a very small sharp knife attached to the front of my belt towards the right side as a back-up. It has grooves on the sheath to thread onto the belt like a dive weight. No need for straps. So, now if my left arm gets hampered I can grab the belt knife with my right. I have also attached elastic loop to the top of the belt knife handle. This means I can stretch the elastic under the bottom of the sheath when the knife is housed. If it hasn't clicked in properly it has another means of support. The elastic is also useful for hanging off my wrist when using it so I can use that hand as well with the knife hanging off it and not lose the knife. I usually put a torch in my knife pocket on my right thigh on my long johns but when going for fish only I put a sharp, medium sized berley knife in the pocket inside a spare sheath that I have from my lost knife. From your post it seems as though you are attaching your knife to your belt with the straps. Use the grooves in the sheath to thread the sheath onto the belt in a position that is comfortable and use elastic on the knife handle to secure the knife to the sheath. I chose a very small knife for a belt knife so it wouldn't dig in. It's all up to personal preference. But I chose safety first. All the best.