It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:46

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 23:31 
Novice Member

Just after people's thoughts on the probe idry suits. The manufacturer claims they are tested down to 10 degrees and I find that my 7mm idry suit is freezing in 16 degree water. I purchased my suit thinking I would be able to dive in the colder months but no way that is happening as this suit will freeze my nuts off, I also discovered they are not sold as the true thickness overall, the 7mm suit as they claim is actually partially 5mm as well, it is 5mm under the arms and down the sides of the torso and also the arm and leg cuffs are 5mm too, this is also the same for the 5mm idry suit, it is really a 5-3mm suit or that's the way they should be advertising it like other suit manufacturers do, I do believe when you purchase a wetsuit that claims to be an overall thickness that's what your getting, but not with probe suits, I find this a little misleading.....cheers Kingyoinker

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 23:49 
Expert Member (SFD)

This is a spearfishing club mate. We don't use dry suits. Go 2 piece 5mm open cell. I dive year round in it

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 07:57 
Novice Member

Thanks Octopussy, the idry suit is not a dry suit, it is an closed cell wetsuit. I know the majority of spearos use open cell suits but each to their own. I use mine quite a fair bit for spearing, am looking at trying a 2 piece open cell in the near future though

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 14:48 
Expert Member (SFD)

Kingyoinker wrote:
I purchased my suit thinking I would be able to dive in the colder months but no way that is happening as this suit will freeze my nuts off

I know the majority of spearos use open cell suits but each to their own

These are related facts.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2014, 01:50 
Forum Member

I have a Torelli Gondwana 5mm open cell 2 pce. My last dive was in 12 degrees for about 2hrs and was toasty warm for the whole dive.