It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:32

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: High pants vs long johns
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 11:05 
Fanatical Senior Member

All my dive suits have been long johns for about the last 30 years, even with long johns I wear a vest for more than half the year. I was just about to get a new suit when I was told the one I was looking at only comes with high pants.
I like the idea of being able to take an aqua dump on long dives but am worried about the cold. I reckon there would be a few people out there with a Labrax suit from Brett and was wondering how they compared to a suit with long johns.
The other suit I'm considing is a Wettie from NZ which come with a knife pocket which is something I loved about my old Ghost. Its only an extra $30 has long johns and a free knife.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 11:14 
Expert Member (SFD)

I have/had one of Brett's suits. Great suit! However if you get cold as I do you may well get one with the long john. I found Brett's a bit chilly for me personally below 15deg. Esclapez is a good suit, very flexible an comfortable, just not enough rubber for a softcock like me in the depths of winter.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 12:19 
Fanatical Senior Member

Blacky is a 12 year old girl. :P
5mm High waist finishes just below chest. Very poo friendly. Have a few Black Caranx suits with long johns coming in this week for sooks.
Blacky now wears a 6mm suit. ( and still doesn't like the cold.) 7mm and 9mm will be available next winter also.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 11:57 
Social Secretary

I got my hands on one of Bretts 5mm labrax suits last week and tested it out on saturday. Im only a little guy who feels the cold fairly easily but even after 1 1/2hrs in the water I was still very comfortable.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 21:48 
Novice Member

What thickness were you running?