It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:22

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 17:42 
Fanatical Senior Member

To resolve a lower back issue, I've been using a weight vest with about 3.5 / 3.7 kg well distributed on the upper back and sides of the rib cage with only about 4 kg. spread around the belt

Has anyone addressed the issue in a different way and eliminated the belt all together using a vest similar to the attached image and does it work?

Attachments:
harness_7kg.jpg
harness_7kg.jpg [ 21.19 KiB | Viewed 4442 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 21:53 
Fanatical Senior Member

IMO, the positions of the weights in the style shown aren't that different to a standard belt, but the shoulder straps will take some strain off your waist when you are standing. also, the rear weight would move or ride up your back significantly when you descend as there is nothing to stop it.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 18:19 
Fanatical Senior Member

This is not a bad idea to resolve back issues

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 20.11 KiB | Viewed 4403 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 19:31 
Expert Member (SFD)

I run a loop of bungi cord from the Middle rear of my std belt under the crotch and loop it over the weight belt pin in the buckle. As soon as you pull belt tag to release in emergency the loop falls off the pin and your free. The crotch loop stops the belt riding into the small of the back when swimming and diving. Keeps the belt at the top of your arse and less pressure on your back. Will take a photo another day and post.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 21:52 
Expert Member (SFD)

Thats the way to go Pietro. Vests are a hassle. What Blackys talking about keeps the belt really low, pretty much across the top of your arse. It sits so low it doesn't effect your back at all. Its just a loop from front of your weightbelt, under your groin to the back of the belt. I made a reasonably tight one out of some speargun rubber and its lasted years.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 10:25 
General Committee Member

As someone with back dramas I found that it did not matter where I wore my weight belt . I carry about 10kg of lead and even if my belt was over my bum by 1/2 way through a comp I could not bend at all to dive.
I tried everything from a ocean hunter harness to various neoprene vests. If you want to try one give me a yell. I have a selection. The harness moved the weight higher up my back . solved the back drama but made me too top heavy. Any of the neoprene vests moved around a lot. I ended up with one of Legendary's Armadillo vests. It has a non flexible back so it keeps its shape.. The tail fits under your belt to help keep it in position on your back. I also fitted a shock cord loop that goes over the front of my belt to keep the tail in position. I found that the tail sometimes came out from under my belt. I also coated the exposed velcro that is not used on the tail with stickaflex so it does nt stick to everything.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 16:08 
Fanatical Senior Member

2x 1kg ankle weights? takes 2kg off your back or belt straight up. I don't use them but they could help you. Beuchat did a good perforated neoprene vest that I used with a belt for snapper snooping in shallow water. (less than 5m) 10-12 kgs of led with a 5mm wetsuit. :roll:

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 16:12 
Fanatical Senior Member

ligure wrote:
This is not a bad idea to resolve back issues

HAHAH, that looks like what Cdog struts at his local pub! :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 17:41 
General Committee Member

Forgot to add that I use ankle weights as well.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 23:24 
Fanatical Senior Member

Thanks guys
Removing the belt altogether seems very impractical
However careful distribution of weight and good placement of the belt make it ok
I Have followed some of your ideas (Blacky - Octopussy) and have deviced a loop / tail running between my legs and to the belt buckle.
Pretty good

Although 2kg in most cases is not much, I am against ankle weights as in my view all weight should come off with a swift action at one point ... you never know

Thanks

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 12:07 
Novice Member

I've had back problems for a long time, including having spinal surgery. The weight belts certainly cause increased back pain, however, I have to agree that weight placement is the biggest key. If you don't need to load up on a lot of weight then positioning them in front and behind my hips and away form my spine (as much as possible) is the only thing I've tried that helps. If you need a lot of weight though, then you run out of room pretty quickly. I also think it's very important to make sure the weight is evenly distributed, as having that unbalanced seems to make things a lot worse. I imagine the vests could make you quite top heavy, which would cause issues when swimming on the surface.