It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:25

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: single spear vs pranger
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 21:21 
Expert Member (SFD)

do those who run a pranger run 2 guns (1 single and one pranger) or re - rig the gun or just run pranger all the time?

I see the benefit of running a pranger in a comp but I like the cleanness of my current set up.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 21:51 
General Committee Member

Love my pranger. Really only ever use a pranger now as its what i have always used. Even run a pranger on my 1.3 for kings. (Only ever got 1 king).
I also like the fact that the pranger immobilises the fish better after being shot I am not a mad fan of fish charging around after being shot.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 21:54 
Expert Member (SFD)

I would say most run two guns. Dependant on the species and conditions your hunting.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 13:57 
General Committee Member

Shot a pranger once, missed, the end.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2015, 00:07 
Novice Member

Prangas are good if you want to stone the fish and take it out in one shot. Taking big cod and jewfish on a pranger is good because you have about 5 chances on hitting the sweet spot in one shot, and a beter holding shot, but big pelagic fish are better off with a straight shaft or a slip tip.
But in saying that i thing a bloke shot a marlin in a sydney aliman comp with a 1m pranga gun a few years back so anything is possible

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2015, 20:43 
Novice Member

Prangers are very effective on all fish in southern Australia. With 20 odd years diving with AUF clubs i have taken jew, snapper, king, black king, tuna etc. Only draw back is you need to get hone your skills to get closer and place a good shot when using prangers. Straight shafts you can shoot further away and a good body shot. The diver who shot the marlin at an alliman shield was Ted Lougher form north shore club, dived with the club for some 15 years. From memory it was some 40-60Kgs. one of three shot with pranger sin the sydney comp scene. Other memorable catches on prangers from the coral sea was a 50 Kg doggie by Gunter and a 75 KG by Paul Christey. In the early days of diving the coral sea we all used prangers. aim was a kill shoot or loose the fish and not you gear. For comp diving i prefer prangers, good in caves and close work.