It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:14

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 08:48 
Expert Member (SFD)

Spearfishers can be rugged individualists. Put two in a room and they will come up with three different opinions. However, when we deal with Government, and want to get a positive response, we need to take a unified position. To that end, it would be good if we had an agreed written strategic plan outlining what problems the sport would like to see addressed.

I have made the rounds of Club Spearfish and Southern Freedivers, with a view to getting input on what is considered important. Of course not everybody agrees on what is an issue, and which issues are the most important, but there is a common thread. I put the issues down on paper, and sent a copy off to the VSC club representatives, suggesting they might like to discuss the issues with their clubs. The draft plan can be updated and changed in response to that input.

Anyway, the representatives are: Scotty at SFD, Tim Gurowski at Club Spearfish, and Rob Torelli and Wreck Coast.
If you have a matter of concern, discuss with them, and they should get back to me.

Ric

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 09:01 
General Committee Member

Ric I had a bit of a discussion with members and we have come up with 3 main areas for concern.
1) Dive flag awareness and diver awareness. We feel that there still needs to be far more done promoting our Dive flag and what it represents. The legality of what it means and the getting the message out to the public.
2) Many would like to an increase in the number of days for the taking of Abalone by recreational divers. The opening up of Port Phillip bay to the taking of Green Lip abs.
3) Some accurate direction on the taking of recreational crays. The stability of the current rules and likely changes in the near future.

Just a few points that came out in general discussion
Thanks Andrew V