It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:54

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: fins?
PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 11:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

Jeeze Paddy, your grammar is a disgrace to all things human.

I do however have a wetty I would part with if you were willing to swap. I have a 5mm Picasso Ghost that was bough late last year, I have used it roughly 10-20 times over that period but find it a bit warm for me in Summer. If you were willing to get me a 3mm Ghost Wetty or Torelli Wetsuit then I would swap with you. The size should eb plenty big enough for you if it fits me mate :)

Tom

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 12:25 
Fanatical Senior Member

sounds alright tom, im still looking around and have looked over some 3mm wettys.
i will have another look and see what happens.

i know i have shit gramer and spelling (very shit) but as long as you blokes know what im on about then im happy :lol:

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 12:41 
Fanatical Senior Member

Haha good one. If you don't get cold Paddy don't get a 5mm suit, I find mine excrutiatingly warm in summer. Not so much when youre in the water as you can just grab the front of the neck and swish water in an out of the front of the suit, but when you are walking from place to place on a warm day it is terrible. My ideal situation would be to have a 3mm for summer and a 5mm for winter. Let me know if you are interested in the future.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 12:53 
Fanatical Senior Member

Tom it doesn't matter what thickness suit you have you're going to get warm in it if you're walking from place to place, especially on a warm day. Your suit is water proof, as a result it doesn't breath that's why you cook. The thickness won't make a huge difference apart from maybe being a little easier to move in and therefore utilising less energy whilst walking, also it's a bit lighter.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 13:04 
Fanatical Senior Member

That's like saying if you have a lycra t-shirt on it will be just as warm as a woolen jumper Jono. Get real mate. The taswegians down south would all be running round picking apples in netball suits.

It's up to you Paddy, but as a big bloke myself I'll let you know that if you walk arond too much in a 5mm suit you will get bloody hot. I never had that problem in the past with the 3mm Jono.

Last edited by tomfraser on 19 May 2009, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 13:23 
Fanatical Senior Member

[quote="tomfraser"]That's like saying if you have a lycra t-shirt on it will be just as warm as a woolen jumper Jono. Get real mate.
quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 16:53 

if you wanna buy wetyy choose 5mm thick,you can use summer aswell abit worm is good...forget 3mm

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 16:55 
Fanatical Senior Member

M.K.A wrote:
if you wanna buy wetyy choose 5mm thick,you can use summer aswell abit worm is good...forget 3mm

You're a small bloke Mustafa. The bigger you get the hotter you get in the suit and the warmer you are in winter. I have no doubt a 3mm suit would be adequate for me during winter.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 17:26 
Fanatical Senior Member

tomfraser wrote:
My ideal situation would be to have a 3mm for summer and a 5mm for winter.

tomfraser wrote:
I have no doubt a 3mm suit would be adequate for me during winter.

Jeeze, would you make up your mind, do you want a 3mm for all year or a 5mm for winter and a 3mm for summer? you more indecisive than a kid in a candy shop who's only allowed one lollie!

And by the way tom, the 3mm you used to use was nylon lined so it's never going to be as warm as an open cell in the same thickness in or out of the water.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 17:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

Mr. Jono wrote:
tomfraser wrote:
My ideal situation would be to have a 3mm for summer and a 5mm for winter.

tomfraser wrote:
I have no doubt a 3mm suit would be adequate for me during winter.

Jeeze, would you make up your mind, do you want a 3mm for all year or a 5mm for winter and a 3mm for summer? you more indecisive than a kid in a candy shop who's only allowed one lollie!

And by the way tom, the 3mm you used to use was nylon lined so it's never going to be as warm as an open cell in the same thickness in or out of the water.

I understand about the neoprene suit not being open cell, but still believe well and truly that a 3mm would not be as hot as a 5mm. The fact is unfortunately, not everyone lives in an ideal world where we can have botha 5mm and a 3mm suit Jono. All I tried to do was give some sound advice to Paddy in saying that if he doesnt get cold in his suit, then a 3mm open cell would be warm enough for the whole year.

I dived with my neoprene springer during the middle of winter at Cape Shanck last year numerous times in very cold water, I dived forr four hours and only got cold towards the end of the dive, in a 3mm open cell I could guarantee I would not get cold at all. If you want to derail the post by saying stupid comments just for the sake of it feel free.

I am a larger bloke, as Paddy has said he is and I have the knowledge that you don't. After all, you did say that there would be no difference in walking up the steps at the Shanck from a 3mm suit to a 5mm suit. That's almost twice the thickness mate, use your brain.

I think this discussion is dead, it has completely derailed. So I will give Paddy my advice and hope it helps him in choosing a suit that will be suitable for him. What have you offered to the conversation Jono?

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 18:27 
Fanatical Senior Member

lol diddnt think this would happen asking about a wetty :shock:
but to settle it all i have a 3mm wetty and a 3mm hood wich is gooooood for summer and on the way to lorne tomorrow im going to stop somwere and buy a 5mm, so then i will be comfy in summer and winter.

sound good to everyone?

last q, dose a cammo or black wetty do much or just looks fancee?

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 22:22 
Fanatical Senior Member

Camo makes you not look like a seal. Could be handy when diving sharky waters, but if a shark is interested in you I doubt some green and brown are gonna deter him.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 22:44 
Administrator

Mr. Jono wrote:
Camo makes you not look like a seal. Could be handy when diving sharky waters, but if a shark is interested in you I doubt some green and brown are gonna deter him.

That's when you release your ink squirts.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 22:56 
Forum Member

camo suits are meant to break up your outline so you look like a hole lot of smaller objects and don't scare the fish as easily. i.e. a school of bait fish.
wether this works or not there are alot of diferent opinions out there