It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:41

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: weirdo
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 14:58 
Fanatical Senior Member

i dont know about anyone else but im pritty into seeing all weird stuff and under water is one of the best places to find these things

so if anyone has any storys or even pics of weird things they have seen on a dive let us know

(can you tell im bored)?

Post subject: Re: weirdo
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 16:21 
Forum Member

Well it just so happens that I came across something quite strange on a recent dive.

My dive buddy and I were out at Portsea on Sunday. There were bugger all fish around. But the swell was flat, and the vis was pretty good.

I was over a sandy area which had a few small rocks scattered around but not much else. I noticed what at first I thought was a Flounder laying on the bottom. It was flat, and round, but it's coloring was way off that of the surrounding rocks. Upon closer inspection, I was able to make out two big eyes, and tentacles. Yes tentacles!!! It was a Cuttle fish trying to look like a rock, or said Flounder, and doing a bloody good impersonation at that.

Just goes to show what a smart creature they are.

Shorerider.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 16:43 
Administrator

Shorerider wrote:
Well it just so happens that I came across something quite strange on a recent dive.

My dive buddy and I were out at Portsea on Sunday. There were bugger all fish around. But the swell was flat, and the vis was pretty good.

I was over a sandy area which had a few small rocks scattered around but not much else. I noticed what at first I thought was a Flounder laying on the bottom. It was flat, and round, but it's coloring was way off that of the surrounding rocks. Upon closer inspection, I was able to make out two big eyes, and tentacles. Yes tentacles!!! It was a Cuttle fish trying to look like a rock, or said Flounder, and doing a bloody good impersonation at that.

Just goes to show what a smart creature they are.

Shorerider.

It just wanted to be accepted.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 16:57 
Fanatical Senior Member

never seen a cuttle.

i had a dive near lonny a wile ago and i was looken for a cray or anything in the reef really
i poked my head into a small cave like thing and this funny looking little fish came flying out and attacked
me!
it was nipping my shoulder snorkle and mask
i freaked out then started laughing because it was so small!

worked out the said cave thingy was FULL of fry haha

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 20:30 
Forum Member

I saw the squids around the weed reef. the squid were brown. I followed them they went out to sandy all the sudden i wouldnt see them anymore cos they changed their colour and short burst speed of the light like star trek or space movies. i almost drown cos my jaw was dropped down on the bottom. Amazing creatures.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 21:32 
Fanatical Senior Member

I was swimming in at Willi last year and just near the rocks where I get out I swam into this weird pale grey cloud. I swirled it around my hands a few times and it started to thin out. It completely had me fucked what it was until someone waded out the metre or so and told me. It was their uncles ashes.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 22:10 
Fanatical Senior Member

Holy shit Greg THAT is weird
I almost feel guilty for laughing so hard

Anyway, time ago (perhaps '85) I was going for the usual round of octopus and squid when ahead of me at almost mid water from the rocky bottom I notice a transparent plastic bag on the vertical; I approach with curiosity without being able to figure out what was inside it and once I gave it half a spin with the tip of the spear I realised to my great surprise the content were a couple of rocks with two tiny kittens in it
Some people are really screwed in the head

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 22:51 
Forum Member

Greg, now i know how you got your attitude from cos you went thru that ashes. The uncle's attitude :-) thats fucking bad if it was me i would fucking freak out. probably tell the person off ' cant you see i'm spearfishing stay out of my zone 100 m.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 22:58 
Forum Member

Ligure

Oh man thats sick.... hate when some people discrad such things like that...

bit out of topic... but relate on different level...

Me and my former boss fishing at portsea pier after work. I said to boss look there whiting. my boss hurried putting whiting gear on his line. for abou5 10 mins. i dsaid to him he there's trevally. he tried cast that area where i pointed out. i said to him look there squid. he said where. around there. he chnaged teh gear to squid gear. he was busy casting around that area where i pointed out.

i walked to the corner of pier saw big tyre on bottom there was white plastic bag. disappointed to see plastic the bottom. i went back to my boss's spot. i was fishing long cast for bigger fish bream, snapper , shark etc.

my boss went to the corner casting n retreiving. he nodded to me there squid there. he was jigging down there close to the pier.
i went to the corner beside him looking down where he was jigging. he said look squid down there that big you see ? i said yeah thats plastic. he retreived the line and gave up left the pier.

weird yeah :-)

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 23:06 
Novice Member

Along time ago, when we were kids, my mate and I were spearfishing off St.Kilda breakwall, while a few other mates were line fishing on the pier.

Just near the start of the breakwall, my mate saw something poking out of the sand. He dived down and cleared the sand around it to expose a hand grenade.

At one of the pier fishing friends' request, Matt has picked the grenade up and brought it up to him. As soon as Matt took it out of the water it started hissing. Sounded like a tyre with leak. Like the 3 stooges or something Matt threw it to Jason, Jason threw it to Andrew, Andrew just dropped it, and they all bolted. I just swam as far as I could away.

Called the Police, who got the Army bomb squad in, they arrived in an army helicopter. Turns out it was live, they took it out several hundred metres and detonated it underwater in the end.

We got interviewed for channel 10 news. Exciting day for kids.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 23:11 
Forum Member

Thats gold and 15 mins fame :-)

havent seen that one on news. when was that ?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 23:21 
Novice Member

silentspearo wrote:
Thats gold and 15 mins fame :-)

havent seen that one on news. when was that ?

LOL! A long, long time ago now mate.

Longer than I care to think about, time goes too fast. One minute you are young, then you blink, and all of a sudden you're old.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 23:48 
Forum Member

know what you mean. same here.. sometime i dont want to count how many years back then. :-) all good Cheers

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 16:51 

Kind of related - I love diving (scuba) around Piers and what not. You find some really crazy stuff.
Ive found phones, earrings, necklaces, a couple of (presumably still live) .22 bullets, batteries, lures, squid jigs, fishing rods, etc.

Went for a dive with a mate a few months back off queenscliff (not near a pier) and he was dropping flashers. I passed him and swam maybe another 20 metres and saw what I thought was another flasher, but thought that was weird cos Id already swam past my mate.

Swim up to it, fully intact Ugly Stick with reel. Reel was seized but attached it to my float and kept going with the dive. Unseized the reel with some oil - first time i went fishing with it I caught a good sized eagle ray.

Found a dive torch on one spearing adventure out at queenscliff - use it as my garage torch.

Another (scuba) dive we went on another mate brought a little camera, and was like, sticking it in holes and what not. One hole he felt something tugging at it hard, so he pulled it out and low and behold there was a very agitated looking giant cuttle trying to attack / defend itself from the terror that was the camera. That same dive, later on he swam over to me and was making hand signals i didn't recognize. After we got out he showed me footage of a young fur seal playing around me for a few minutes - i didn't even see it!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 21:01 

thats the scary part. the stuff you don't see. we are not the only ones trying to be cryptic!