It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:46

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 16:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

Jazzbox 111 ... I just took this thread out from the wrong topic (Freedive/Spearfishing Watch)

Jazzbox111 wrote:
ligure wrote:
just a note of warning to those new to diving especially following from what Jazzbox 111 posted ... if you experience ventral/abdominal contractions (and they can happen at any depth even on the surface) you have been holding your breath to dangerous extents. You should always come to the surface before you experience contractions and, hopefully, never push yourself to experience any. If by some distorted reason you are curious to know what they are and what they feel like ... push your breath hold while lying in bed and not while in the water.

What on earth are you talking about? Contractions are a normal part of diving/breathold. They are certainly not dangerous, they are good. The action permits the lung to upen up and take more oxygen. The vast majority of divers experience contractions, whether they are aware of this or not and you certainly don't get them when you reach "dangerous" levels. That is preposterous. You certainly cannot tell how many or how strong contractinos individuals will feel where, as everybody is different, but that is the point of focusing on your body in FREEDIVING training, to learn what is happening to it. You are spreading misinformaiton. What I wrote was directed at experienc divers and those who had taken the free-diving course with Walter Steyn. Why don't you watch the Erez Beatus Black out video and see what he says about experiencing "contractions". I think you will find that you will have learned something. You don't really expet people to dive to 25 meters and stay at depth for a bit then come back up without experiencing more than one contraction? Waaaay off mate.

I would NEVER recommned a begginer or an intermediate without training (basically anyone who does not really know what they are doing) to attempt to do anything dangerous or beyond their level. It is upto the people to whom I directed the post to inform themselves on the practices I brought up, they can decide for themselves as they are responsible adults. I am a little angry that you wrote that, especially knowing that what you said is 100% factually wrong.

If you dive and you want to come up, come up. Contractions or not. Every idiot knows that, but if you are not aware of what is happening in your body (ie. contractinos) chances are you are gonna panic and come to a WRONG conclusion about them. I urge anybody who has read this to watch Erez Beatus Blackout Video and draw their own conclusion about contractions.

It might just be a misconception of mine, I am happy to stand corrected, but I don't see how pushing oneself to the point of experiencing contractions is good practice when spearfishing.
I would always consider it safer to avoid finding yourself at a limit

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 16:31 
Fanatical Senior Member

I am quite certain that the people to whom the comments were directed knew what I was talking about, as was the case at least with Jaws. As mentioned, unless your dives are very quick or you are one of the few people who don't experience contractions (or ones strong enough to feel) then they are normal and good. If you don't feel them it means you are not aware of what your body is doing, don't understand this, and should take a course in freediving. It would be in the interests of your safety. The divers to who I directed my comments were diving to depths that quite certainly would cause contractions in most people.

Nowhere did I suggest how many contractions one should feel and what depths should anyone go to without an inkling as to what their skill level is. This is completely dependant on the individual and their experience and knowledge (as can be obtained from a freediving course by a qualified person) would allow them to determine how to dive accordingly.

As I understand it Brett Illingworth runs begginner free diving courses. I would reccommend taking this course by him (or anyone else who is qualified) to every single diver on this forum who has not done a freediving course. I also think that taking these courses should be encouraged by the freediving/spearfishing community to promote safety and the legitimacy of the sports.