It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:48

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: What was your first?
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 16:02 
Fanatical Senior Member

Yeah I know Greg, just hard to believe as a first fish!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 08:27 
Novice Member

Definitely not scaly. Tail was more flat not a pointy v shape. Seems I must off had a heap off luck getting him..lol
Knew as a newbie that it was fluke I got a fish let alone a rare one...lol

Has made it even more special. Will be out again weekend...

Been a advide (hardcore) boat fisho for over 20+ years. Only just got introduced to being under the water recently. Very fascinated borderline addicted according to my partner...lol

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014, 07:38 
Forum Member

Good stuff dr.drift, i have dived altona for about 5 years used to be my local and i have never seen a black drummer or port jackson so far in the bay I'm curious as to wereabouts you went? if you don't mind sharing and congratulations on your first fish gotta be happy with that :P

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014, 23:14 
Novice Member

chrismarsic wrote:
Good stuff dr.drift, i have dived altona for about 5 years used to be my local and i have never seen a black drummer or port jackson so far in the bay I'm curious as to wereabouts you went? if you don't mind sharing and congratulations on your first fish gotta be happy with that :P

As u leave the ramp it's about 3-5klm out to your west(can give u gps mark if u want). It's under 5m. Visability normally good, out going tide can get murky but from what I seen that's the time fishes come out. Plagues off pinkies. Heaps off life there. That was the first port Jackson I seen that size but many smaller ones I see, not heaps but I do see them. I fish by boat off Altona for last 20years+ and northern end off bay has changed dramatically since the dredging. Snapper season was my forte. As I fished everyday during those months and local comps. Lots off people at Altona ramp no me as a local fisho and ramp rat when blowing lol. Plus I service Victorian police boats for a living. So I no the area fairly well(as a fisho as a spearo I'm a novice. Lol) But yea it has changed a lot. Nothing like down southern end but for a quick dive during outgoing tide it's very good for beginners like me. Tomorrow we convoying 4 boats from Altona to rosebud hoping for few scallops etc. M8s are pretty good divers I just learning but sounds fun.

Yea I am rapt cause never knew black drummers where rare. So must off been lucky.

Tony
Aka
Dr Drift(that's what most no me as)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 08:10 
Novice Member

My first was a Grass whiting to the left of portsea pier.

Hit it with a 7mm Shaft, straight through the back of the head, stoned it but the spear pulled through.
Was frantically swimming around in the tide to make sure i didn't lose it!

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 12:07 
Novice Member

Ooooh.

Would've been a Leatherjacket, probably not that big a size off of Daveys Bay in Frankston, back in 2011.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 11:59 
Novice Member

A 40ish cm Buff Bream in Perth, after my cousin specifically telling me not to shoot them I watched schools of hundreds swim past, the juveniles and adults look different but in this one school there was one fish that stood out it had a different color and shape, so I thought it was a different species. After I'd shot it and proudly showed him he laughed and said "I told you not to shoot them".

Lesson learned only shoot what you can identify.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2014, 10:36 
Novice Member

Golden trumpeter taken under Main pier in Portland. I was with some seasoned spearo's that called me a flukey bastard! Been called that a lot since.. Lol. Think I was 15 yo
Cheers, Danny H

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 22:55 
Novice Member

Camping at Tathra with a pack of mad fisherman in 2001. Borrowed a sling and mask, crossed the road and dived in. I came out half an hour later with a bag of ludrig and my hangover was cured! The fisherman spewed all the way out to the shelf, caught nothing and spewed their wày home. Those fish were perfect for my brekkie and I washed them down with a couple of early morning beers. A few years later I'm shooting kings off the glenny islands. What a pastime!