It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:38

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 19:13 
Expert Member (SFD)

How does everyone here sharpen their filleting knives? Never bothered to buy a decent set of stones but have procrastinated about it for the last 12 months. Now considering getting one of those Lansky systems.

I have bout 6 knifes that couldn't cut a turd as is so if anyone wants to sharpen them for me please feel free! Otherwise tell me what i should be buying please :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 19:32 
Fanatical Senior Member

You planning on shooting a fish this season?

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 19:54 
Expert Member (SFD)

Attachment:
IMG_0003 copy.jpg
IMG_0003 copy.jpg [ 39.27 KiB | Viewed 6010 times ]
Pardon.. Couldn't hear you behind this tuna.... :lol:

Breathing is Overrated

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 20:00 
Fanatical Senior Member

i use a sharpening steel on my knifes. my cousin used to be a butcher and seemed to sware by them rather than a stone so he ended up getting me one and showing me how to use it. supposedly though, price does matter and something to do with the hardness of the steel itself

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 20:06 
Expert Member (SFD)

Yeah I can use a stone but use a diamond stick instead now. They take off heaps of steel real quick so not the thing for your handmade japanese knife but they'll bring a knife to a razor edge with a couple of well angled swipes.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 20:35 
Vic Records Officer

Check out a lansky sharpening system, they work really well!

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 21:36 
Fanatical Senior Member

Steel is for honing, stone is for sharpening. You need both.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 22:00 
Fanatical Senior Member

I like the diamond stick if I have let the edge go for a while, but if the edge is reasonable I prefer a fine steel, and use it slowly. I do not have a dish washer, but I have been told that washing high carbon steel knives in the dish washer is not good for them.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 08:22 
Forum Member

The Lansky system is suppose to be great however if you practice doing it yourself with the steel and stone you will be able to sharpen your knife anywhere (do the theory go's) so a bit of practice with some cheap knives and maybe some coaching by someone who is a butcher etc I feel would be more beneficial than a sharpening system a such!

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 08:49 
Expert Member (SFD)

+1 for the lansky. Steels are only good to touch up a kitchen knife or something similar. Filleting knifes kept properly are meant to have a much finer edge on them which ain't easy to do with a steel!

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 08:49 
Fanatical Senior Member

Haha touch'e!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 09:55 
Vic Records Officer

Diamond sticks/ impreginated stones ect arnt for getting a razor sharp edge, something like this creates a feather on your sharp edge. This is normally honed out with a razor hone. If you no what to feel for when trying to get a sharp edge then you no how much work is needed to create it, the sharpest edge when you wet your fingers and run them along the edge will feel as though it's dragging your fingers in, and it won't have any serations.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 13:29 
Expert Member (SFD)

Thanks for the info gents. Bought a lansky system last night..

Keep the info coming especially stone recommendations because I will probably buy some stones and start to play around with them as well.

Cheers!

Breathing is Overrated

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 14:11 
Vic Records Officer

To finish off your edge you want the finest stone you can find, normally around the 15,000 grit

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 17:44 
Expert Member (SFD)

Agreed, a stone is good if the knife is in poor shape, need to get an angle of about 30deg as a starting point. Then I have two steels. One agressive standard type and one diamond to finish off. A sharp knife has chamfered edge of about 30deg and then you give a finer edge to that with the steel. You need to draw the blade on the stone or steel, blade to back. As if you were cutting across the stone or steel. If you draw it backwards which is the instinct to not cut one's pinky then you actually draw the metal backwards off the cutting edge and this creates a fine rough edge (no good). If the knife is reasonable then a hit with a steel every second fish keeps it sweet. I sharpen crossing over the steel blade first, takes a bit of practice to get right and not cut yourself. A good steel will have a guard at the base of the handle to stop the blade cutting you if you do f*%k up. And yes pay the extra for a good quality one and it will last 10y. Think of it like sharpening a chisel. A big chamfer first on a grinder then finished with a finer edge on a stone. A knife is no different and can be almost as sharp as a razor if done right. Seen it on Croc Dundee :P . Cheers.