It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:19

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 17:35 
Forum Member

Hey guys, I thought id try my hand at a very small aquaponics set up in my apartment (I'm an aquaculture student so thought id test some knowledge).

So far I've got most of what I need- pump, fish tank, parsley seeds, pebbles, plant pot, smalllength hose etc.

Just wondering if anyone has a backyard system or has any experience with aquaponics? im going to just start out with goldfish as they're dirty and will provide plenty of nutrients to the plants. If anyone has any knowledge or tips they would like to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 17:47 
Fanatical Senior Member

I've helped set up for a mate an IBC with an NFT system instead of an aerator to give surface movement and an old bath as a grow bed. It has a washing machine as a sump which pumps into the IBC causing it to overflow into the grow bed. just got goldfish in it ATM but will be throwing in some silver perch in the next couple of weeks.
If you have any questions fire away, I've been mucking around with hydroponics and keeping/breeding fish for years.
Have you got some used filter media to seed your grow bed with? it makes a huge difference in the time it takes to build up the right bacteria. I'm happy to clean out a filter for you if you want. can give you a heap of vietnamese mint as well which has to be one of the best beginner/ small system plants.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 15:07 
Forum Member

Wow awesome. Yeah i was thinking a lot smaller scale than that... A fish tank of about 15L with a couple of goldfish, a plant pot filled with gravel (epoxy coated), and modify the fish filter to pump water into the plant pot which would trickle down back into the tank. Does this sound like it could work?

Just doing some reading here:
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/guide ... he-system/
It says for a media bed system, i could just continuously trickle the water through the gravel into a small sump then trickle back into the tank.

And I'm going to get some gold fish early next week and start building up bacteria in the filter before planting the seeds, do you know how long a small filter (pump head 0.45m, max flow 450l/hr) would take to satisfy the nitrification process after fish are introduced?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 19:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

450l an hour is a bit much for a 15 tank and 15l is a bit small although there may be a typo there with an extra zero or one missing. Just put the grow bed above the tank and have it return straight to the tank, no need for a sump with a set up like that.
Your looking at up to 6 weeks for the bed to be fully cycled without seeding but as long as the pH is below 7 the plants will be able to take up ammonium but once the pH goes above 7 it becomes less usable ammonia . I think I got that around the right way but it's low pH that you want anyway.
If you want to borrow an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ test kit give a yell.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 10:11 
Expert Member (SFD)

Wat did u use to grow in it Greg.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 10:43 
Fanatical Senior Member

Started of with just lettuces and other greens, played with tomatoes a bit but like the taste of soil grown ones better. Have grown climbing beans, a variety called purple king mostly which worked really well. I grew corn and got 3 ears per plant. Snow and bush peas went no better than in soil. Tried a few root crops without much success. Currently into growing wasabi but that's only just started so wont really know how well it goes for a couple months yet.
My grandfather was a market gardener so I guess it's in the blood.
Sorry Nas, nothing for you to smoke, I haven't grown that in years and never did it with hydroponics.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 15:15 
General Committee Member

I think you should start off with Robo Fish.
They do not eat or shit so your tank should keep clean,
and when you are sick of them bring them into the bay
and we could take pot shots at them.

Merry Xmas

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2012, 19:07 
Expert Member (SFD)

Have a mate that grows wild wacky and stupidly hot varieties of chillies. Always fun getting a mixed bag from him and knocking up some sambal