It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:08

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Camping West Coast
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 17:23 
General Committee Member

Heading camping up the great ocean road. We were planning on doing a half day at Geelong water park then onto to somewhere between Geelong and Lorne and camp the night. Then up early the next morning and head for somewhere around Lorne and camp for 2 or 3 nights. We'll be fitting in a day trip to the 12ish apostles and the ottways. Any suggestions for camping parks and things to do apart from get pissed?

Post subject: Re: Camping West Coast
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 18:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

We used to camp a fair bit at the Sabine Falls picnic ground on Sunnyside rd. While your there go for a walk down into the valley at night and check out the glow worms. Last time I was there about 5 years ago they had taken away the fireplaces so we haven't been back. The walk to the falls is pretty nice, don't go to the lookout go to the base of the falls. The track was scrubbed by DSE when they wanted to log the area and they took it off their maps but it still exists.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 19:07 
Expert Member (SFD)

The water park is expensive and often busy, but by all means have a go. The kids will love it!

Most parks are booked out this time of year. One of my best mates owns a local park. It is nuts down lorne way.

Good spots to camp are Stevensons falls near Forrest (not a Caravan park), 40min inland from skenes creek. Glenaire on the Aire river (not a park either), which is not that far from the 12 rocks. Both are quite beautiful! Kennet river, Cumberland river are good but again check availability, they are on coast and may have spots to camp at cost.

Erskine falls is pretty bloody nice too. That is out back of lorne (no camping though, camp in lorne). Only thing is the Falls Festival is on over new years and it is nuts. Good memories as a young fella! Grog, girls and music! Not for the kids.

I would get on the Parks vic web (Great Otway Park) and check where you want to go and then ring for more info. I often camp in the Otways but more off the beaten track and I give it a wide berth at this time of year for fear of bashing a tourist in a fit of rage. Good luck and Happy Holiday!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 12:42 
General Committee Member

Cheers fellas, sounds good.