It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:05

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Old oven to hot smoker
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 16:35 
Expert Member (SFD)

Got an offer of an old electric oven that has a griller bit in the top and I'm thinking:
- flip the whole thing upside down
- cut slits / drill holes between the oven and griller compartments
- use the griller element to make smoke

The gf is worried that it will start a fire or use too much electricity. I'm not sure if the griller element will be too hot. It won't be the biggest smoker but the inbuilt racks will do nicely.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 18:28 

Worst comes to worst you can just remove the element and set the fire / wood chips in the bottom section? It would still be a bitching smoker.

Id be worried about using the elements themselves - could cause a surge or something, or the elements themselves being damaged?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 22:26 
Fanatical Senior Member

Im no mechanic Dilwad but going on the box smoker ive got this idea, "could be practical" :roll: and not effect element.

If you were able to put a sheet of thin metal 1-2cm above the element that covers the majority of the oven. Place shavings on thin metal piece slide in and element should get hot enough to start heating metal piece which start burning saw dust.
I wouldn't weld this piece in as the ability slide in and out will be easier for you to clean.

Metal piece needs to either act like a shelf (think of a book shelf) and sit on shelf holder thingies or you can bend sides of metal 2cm down so they sit on the bent edges. I would still place a tin foil strip on top of metal piece then add shavings. Once finished slide out metal tray and wrap up burnt shavings in foil and bin. Metal piece stays clean and protects element.

Geoff