It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:03

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Boat Float
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 21:06 
Expert Member (SFD)

hey guys, i got out over the long weekend and gave the float a try.
so here is the review:
> there is very very little drag and tows about twice as easy as an inflatable float.
> the rear hatch it really easy for throwing fish in and taking out things for use.
> it fits all my gear with ease and would easily also fit another spare wetty.

the only thing that is needed to done to the float is to add a shackle or clip to the bottom so that you can have a stringer or bag hanging from the back.
if anyone would like a more detailed review or has any questions feel free to message me.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 14:04 
Fanatical Senior Member

Decided to go all out and order one. For those that might be thinking Geoff whats wrong with your Beuchat Guardian boat Float that you & Carly use. Well after a year of use the right tube slowly releases air during a dive and im not waiting for that day when i have to recover it along with my catch from the bottom of the ocean.
Yes i can get it fixed but to find someone that will patch it and machine stitch it, which could be pricey, let alone it could easily happen again. Mind you after speaking with Trent about his packhorse, i weighed up the pros and cons of each. The only clear advantage of my inflatable over the packhorse was it takes up less space by packing away easily and can be used like a body board. But having the peace of mind that a cray or a rock wont puncture plus extra storage was good enough for me to invest in this new toy:).

Enough of the jibber jabber. Yes it looks pricey below and yeah you can make your own out of a yak if youve got the tools & materials, the know how & x4weekends+ free. But i havent got the time. Okay the real reason is cant fix a washer on a tap let alone fibreglass something;) So here is the info for those interested
$395 packhorse boat float
$95 harness (optional)
$80 freight to melbourne 3-5 day delivery
They are making a smaller version soon. If there are few people wanting to get packhorse each Speak with John & organise a group buy and they should be able to discount freight costs.

Geoff

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 18:48 
Fanatical Senior Member

How much for the used / broken / decrepit / unseaworthy / troublesome Guardian Geoff?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 20:35 
Fanatical Senior Member

Brett Illingworth wrote:
How much for the used / broken / decrepit / unseaworthy / troublesome Guardian Geoff?

The "used / troublesome" boat you would have to fight Carly for it. She uses it more then me. The main reason i bought this float was for her to rest on when she felt tired or cold, which normally happens at the 3-4 hr interval, when im not ready to get out.
This will be Carlys comp float, yeah it needs a touch of pampering (which i will look into) but even in its current condition, it will still see out many days under her weight not mine:)

Plus if the guardian decides to reenact the titanic hopefully i can transfer its goods to the packhorse or still keep it afloat or drag by attaching it to the packhorse.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 01:51 
Fanatical Senior Member

So the boat float arrived a while ago. After hassling Trent about his modifications he told me he wanted to add one more extra component to his boat
-more floatation (for those rougher days).
Tues morning)After going through all the costs from Pool noodles to PE sheets. Ended up deciding upon cutting up Carlys EVA pool mat (30mm thick). Haha, No i got it from Clark Rubber, but after the $$$ i paid i would have chosen the latter method if she owned one. Anyway it worked out cheaper than the other methods for surface area.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 139.55 KiB | Viewed 3646 times ]

Tues night)Using my cookie cutting skills to cut out a piece of foam that would be stuck to the inside of the top of the float.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 123.08 KiB | Viewed 3646 times ]

Weds 6:30pm-11:30pm) Go around to Trents place. Where Trent, Kyle and I work on modifications for my boat and a little bit of Trents;) . Added two attachment points to the rear underside of the float. Thanks Kyle for the plates and your drill work and Trent for attaching them. Thanks as well Trent for helping me rig up new 130cm gun.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 82.53 KiB | Viewed 3646 times ]

Little bit of cutting and glueing, drinking Wahoo beer, eating a lot of pizza and job done. Below is Trent admiring his finished work.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 91.85 KiB | Viewed 3646 times ]

So now to christen it this weekend at the Western district comp.
Besides the underside of the lid you cannot see the other main pieces unless you put your head in the hatch. So you cant tell the cavity is slightly smaller. As for Trents boat he still has to cut his out and glue it but he has it all stenciled out for the moment in time so should be relatively quick job.
Thanks again boys for the help i will see you at the stump late Sat Nite.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 11:01 
Expert Member (SFD)

That foam will give you a bit of insulation which will be nice in the sun, but the foam won't improve buoyancy at all glued on the inside of the float (until the float is fulled completely with water, at which point it is a little late). The attachment points are great though, I've two on mine, very handy.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 12:07 
Fanatical Senior Member

kiwi_scott wrote:
but the foam won't improve buoyancy at all glued on the inside of the float (until the float is fulled completely with water, at which point it is a little late.

You're 100% right Scotty. I should have written in the start that we are 'hoping' that its a safeguard to keep the boat afloat/semi afloat if it does fill up with water or make it sink at a slower rate;) :lol:

We may need to add foam side panels (reduce volume to 102L approx)

The whole idea still could be a crock of shit as it is a large volume (approx calculation with top underside foam 115L) but you will only know if you give it a go. :roll:

Plus the boat is half Irish :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 16:31 
Expert Member (SFD)

Ah yes I figured as much, but once the first 110 kg of water comes in the float filling up to the foam you are probably in a bad way. Once underwater you are probably equally stuffed and drag probably will be a bigger issue than weight (maybe, I haven't sunk mine yet...).

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 17:04 
General Committee Member

Bluegroper wrote:

So no matter how much drink you put into the float, it will still stand up. Is that what you're trying to say?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 10:07 
Vic Records Officer

kiwi_scott wrote:
(maybe, I haven't sunk mine yet...).

It's a bitch raising a boat float out the deep!
If yours sinks Scotty it's gonna be like raising the titanic! ;-)

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 18:15 
General Committee Member

Watto they never recovered the Titanic. Kiwi your float will be there forever. :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 19:05 
Fanatical Senior Member

Fitzy_Eire wrote:
Bluegroper wrote:

So no matter how much drink you put into the float, it will still stand up. Is that what you're trying to say?

Fitzy your right Alcohol is less dense than water. So therefore it is more likely to stay upright. So if it doesnt work with saltwater maybe i can use it as a party pool float and fill it with guinness. Not sure how keen everyone would be, drinking something black coming out of a bunghole?

My apologies :oops: :oops: