It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:24

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Spearing alone
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 12:02 
Novice Member

How many of you sometimes go spearing alone?
When ever possible I try to dive with a partner, However when I cant find one and when i am desperate I just take the risk and go alone.
Just wondering if you dive alone, what precaution does one take to make diving alone a bit more safer?

cheers

Post subject: Re: Spearing alone
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 12:14 
Forum Member

which suburb u from?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 12:16 
Administrator

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 12:18 
Forum Member

nice! :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 12:24 
Novice Member

Box Hill, but happy to drive 1-2 hours to dive, and can uaually go either the east or west of the bay.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 13:15 
Expert Member (SFD)

70% of my spearing is done alone. The things I do to manage the risk is just concerve my breath, have very postive boyency and have weights positened so if a SWB would occur and i could not remove my belt I would float face up. Just always think that if something does go wrong you are by your self and halp may not come.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 15:52 
Expert Member (SFD)

Quote:
have very postive boyency and have weights positened so if a SWB would occur and i could not remove my belt I would float face up
And how are those weights positioned exactly?

What about all the other dangers such as boat strike, etc..

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 18:10 
Expert Member (SFD)

The weights are positened on my back and sides so that if I were to completley relax (blackout) the weight would make me roll face up.
Lethal wrote:
What about all the other dangers such as boat strike, etc..

I just always have a ear out when you know a boat is with in a potentualy dangrous range just kep an eye out. As for things such as caves ect I under no circumstances enter them, when I am alone it is only in my local spot in witch I know the land,conditions and common boat roots and if diving a new or unfimular location I always use the buddy system.
Stephen.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 09:28 
Expert Member (SFD)

Quote:
The weights are positened on my back and sides so that if I were to completley relax (blackout) the weight would make me roll face up
I wear my weights on my back and sides as well and I find that if I simulate a BO on the way up to the surface the position I end up in is different everytime. Therefore I don't feel it is sound advice telling people that you can position your weightbelt so you float face up.

One of the closest calls I have ever had on the water was a sea plane coming in to land at Sorrento, so listening out for a boat wont protect you 100% of the time. Not trying to shoot you down stevo just trying to raise some questions you may not have thought about.

Breathing is Overrated

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 16:34 
Expert Member (SFD)

superstevo iv come very very very close to blacking out in a comp in tahiti and i garinty you that if my partner hadnt held me up i would have sunk. All my weight are on my back and i recon most divers would have the same. You can put your weights where ever you like but it aint going to keep you face up on the surface! If you think your in trouble on a dive unclip your belt and hold it in your hand, if you do black out you will drop the belt then you will float HOPEFULLY face up. I do alot of diving by myself and i know i shouldnt,keep safe and dive with a mate. As for hearing boats coming,jets skies and fourstrike engines can be ontop of you in seconds and thats all it takes to hit you. Common roots for boats????????? mate boaties dont all follow the same root on the bay. be carefully mate cause your comments really worry me.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:03 
Expert Member (SFD)

I completely understand what you are saying lethal but my actions are to maxamise my chance of safe spearfishing most actions will not prevent your risk of BO or any thing alike but may boost your chances of safety in a event of this occuring. if it boostes your chances of survival or doing serious damage by even 1%, I will do everthing on my power to under go thoes procedures to ensure I can maxamise my chances of survival.
Stephen

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:20 
Expert Member (SFD)

superstevo wrote:
I will do everthing on my power to under go thoes procedures to ensure I can maxamise my chances of survival.
Stephen

Except diving with a buddy? :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:45 
Expert Member (SFD)

point noted :oops: altho I was reffering to when spearfishing alone.
Stephen

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 21:59 
Novice Member

log onto www.maddogspearfishing.com and join the forum there and start a new topic looking for a dive buddy!

good luck,see ya out there! 8)

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 22:05 
Novice Member

Never dive alone!!

just ask the experienced spearos, and talk to other spearos out there who have had close calls with boats,jet ski etc like me.
my mate went out 1 year a go Mt Martha had a cramp in his leg and held on to dear life to his float mean while he waved down a boat who picked him up.
He lived to tell the boys and vowed never again.
8)