It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:44

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: GoPro Hero 3
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 23:27 
Fanatical Senior Member

Hey Guys.

Was ebaying tonight and got onto these GoPro cameras. Thinking about getting a Hero 3 Silver edition for myself at Christmas and was wondering if anyone had one or knew of someone who had used it underwater. I am wondering how easy it is to take photos underwater, or if its just a set it to video mode and off you go. Any advice regarding mounts would be helpful also, a lot of the stuff I have found on here is quite dated.

Cheers.

Tom

Post subject: Re: GoPro Hero 3
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 04:56 
Expert Member (SFD)

I wouldn't buy it to take Pics Tom that's for sure, although it does and is pretty easy to do so, I reckon a good u/w cam setup would be better. The best feature of the Gopro is definitely the video it produces for a tiny pov cam! I'd highly recommend one. Then again if how much do you actually get out for dives anymore, might not be worth the $ just for that.

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 19:36 
Fanatical Senior Member

Good answer Tyson. Thanks for that. I have a good setup but am afriad to use it as last time it got a bit of water in it. Have a Canon Powershot G9 w/ housing. Takes great videos and photos but is not very maneuvarable or convenient underwater. Just need to get a mount for it probably. Once again, thanks for the advice mate.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 23:30 
Expert Member (SFD)

In my opinion they film really well underwater especially for the price and size., The new gopro has a flat lenses which provides really good quality underwater compared to the old gopros. You can also get a dive housing for the go pro 2 which has a flat lenses.

If you look up on youtube there is some really good footage that has been filmed with them, and also good comparison videos between the 2 / 3 and 2 with dive housing.

Edit:
Found the video i was looking for, My friends brother filmed this out of mt matha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J4UCBmT ... ure=g-hist

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 18:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

hey tom, did you end up getting the goproH3? i have one since last week and looking for what peoples "Gun Cam" mounts look like. because they only alow the GoPro-brand fittings (mounts, accessories ect) i am struggling to find a stream line approch to this problem.

any feed back would be great!

oZ

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 19:30 
Novice Member

I'd check these gun mounts out Oz. Not sure where to get them in Australia, but the guys on spearboard certainly rate Mako gear pretty highly.

http://www.makospearguns.com/category-s/45.htm

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 08:18 
Novice Member

I have a few of the mako gun mounts for the gopro and they are pretty damn good. The camera is really quick to take on/off from the mount. I rarely use the gopro but the mount is reasonably streamline and stays on my guns permanently.
Mako are awesome to deal with, I've bought a fair bit of gear off them and it's all been good and generally arrives within a week. They do ship to Aus, just shoot them an email with what you want and they will send you a quote inc. shipping along with payment instructions.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 11:27 
Fanatical Senior Member

will do cheers!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 14:44 
Fanatical Senior Member

Got one of these mako mounts (mount that camera sits to the right or left of gun, not below or above mounts) Can people tell me if they had the same issues below.

When attaching the big knob for the L bracket as you tighten the knob the L bracket metal gets pushed downwards due the the pressure of the knob being too big. So camera brace does not sit flush with top of railgun. Had to angle the tube fastener higher on the right hand side to compensate. Also im worried that knob may not be tight enough due to design. Its hard to tighten due to metal L bracket being in the way. Dont want to lose another camera due to a shit bracket!

Do you guys keep on mount all the time as they advise to deassemble whole unit and regrease screws after every use. Bugger that do you guys do this. Or should i use lock tight on the screws and leave it?

Any advice on this matter would be great as im a technical genius :roll:

Geoff

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 21:16 
Novice Member

Hey guys Dylan here
I have two go pro hero 3 black editions and they are great for video as well as photos easy to use and streamlined for under water use. They film in 1440 pixels instead of the old 1080 pixels that the go pro hero 2 films in. In terms of gun mounts my mate just bought from bunnings a small L bracket which he uses. He mounts it where the real attaches to the gun and uses the same screw that the real uses. Its easy to use and is very stable on the gun. It is also removable and doesn't get in the way of rubbers. (this does not work if you use a real) :) hope this is helpful :)