It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:09

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: viz at Willie
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2013, 21:24 
Expert Member (SFD)

great to see some nice pb snapper pics. Anything over 50cm is a trophy fish for a Victorian Spearo. Well done lads.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2013, 10:46 
Expert Member (SFD)

Before you can shoot a fish, you have to see it (well, in most cases anyway). I might have yet to nail that really big snapper, but I have seen some nice ones this year. The other morning in PPBay I spooked one lying between two pieces of weed. As it swam off, I noted that it was at least 10cm through the width of the back. I never got to get a better look though. (Maybe next time!)

At Cape Paterson, my mate Peter saw a snapper that was about 75cm in length. He said it was lit up, with a bright blue band around the outside. (A lot of the fish from that spot have bright blue spots) He didn't get close enough to take a shot at it though, and he only saw it once.

So, they are there. Will just take persistance is all.

Ric

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 15:41 
Forum Member

i saw one at willie last year reckon it would of gone 70-90cm. reason i reckon is because it was fairly choppy and bit mirky. had the burley on the sand, lots of other pinkies around and this mother of mothers (thats what i like to call it) use to hang near the burley, must of spent about an hour just trying to get him with no luck kept spooking him if only i could of got like a metre closer
byeee

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 10:11 
Expert Member (SFD)

Funny, Geno, you didn't say where you saw the big one.

Actually, there are places where you will see pinks/snapper more often*, but whether or not you see bigger ones just seems to be the luck of the draw. The more you are in the water, the better your chances.

I have been back to where my mate saw the 75cm fish - four times in fact. I have seen pinkies there (and shot a 36 cm fish) but no sight of the monster. But I will go back again as soon as conditions are suitable.

Ric

*usually on a rocky edge, covered with seaweed, falling away to sand, and particularly if the sand makes a "V" gully into the rock