It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 16:01

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 10:47 
General Committee Member

What a great weekend for it . 5 divers joined Walter for this course which ended up running from Ocean Grove as there was a muck up with the accomodation. This was fine as the intention was to dive in 35m of water near the HMAS Canberra on Sunday so a launch from Ocean Grove made for a short boat trip.
Saturday consisted of a theory session at the motel where we discussed some of the science and technique used as well as our first static breath holds. I was very pleased to do a 4min 30 sec static as my best before had been 3min. Then off to Geelong for a pool session with more statics , some laps and a session on diver rescue. Once again very pleased with a 70 m swim. Best before was 55m. Its much better with someone watching over you. Sunday the RIB was launched from the ramp at the end of the street followed by a short trip to an area about 500m seaward of the HMAS Canberra in 34 + m with a sandy bottom. Float and drop line were set up with markings every 5m. Plenty of warm up dives were performed with each diver gradually increasing depth. A couple of guys had minor ear problems that limited them. I had a sinus problem that raised its head at 20m which cleared after some sudafed and a rest. Its surprising what each dive takes out of you over 20m. I think i did 5 20 dives trying to clear my sinus. Once cleared I felt able to try deaper so a 22m, 25m,28.7m followed .I was a bit disapointed that I had not pushed that extra to the 30m mark. I was really surprised how much weight was not required as the depth increased. One last try for 30 m after removing a further 2 KG of weight resulted in 32m . Very happy . The last 15 m to the surface was quite a test of mental fortitude . Walter was there to great me at about 12m and I was happy to signal OK . The remaining m consisted of several I am OK i think I may be dying but under control signals. On reaching the surface all was fine but that was it for me as I was spent.
From there we dived the Canberra for only a short time as everyone was feeling weary. This was followed by more rescue training in 7 m.
Conditions were nearly perfect, Ocean was flat as with a disappointing 10m Vis.
Thanks Walter for a great experience and making a seemingly impossible goal reachable. Had a great weekend with great people.

Walter would like to run another freedive course in the next month . I can highly recommend it.
Contact him at walter_steyn@yahoo.com.au

Attachments:
2013-02-24 001 006 s.jpg
2013-02-24 001 006 s.jpg [ 73.89 KiB | Viewed 2327 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 14:11 
Forum Member

Well done Andrew!! Was spewing about my ear still playing up as the conditions looked great. 32m great stuff!! Must say I took a lot away from the day and am glad that I waited and did the course with Walter!! I only managed 50m under water in the pool and a 3:40 static hold on land beating a disgusting 1:30 on before hand. Can't argue with results! I believe everyone bettered their previous best.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 12:11 
Novice Member

Hi All,
it was a great course, one of the most enjoyable I have taught, although was pretty knackered at the end of it :-P
Calm flat seas and very little current, reasonably warm too (been told great for VIC :-). Was a great class to teach and all were very receptive and didn't once hesitate to try new things. I have found at times in the past it can be difficult for some to break out of existing habits. But anyway there were definitely 2 or 3 divers doubling their PB's, and all diving a lot deeper then they have been before. Both Andrew V and Jon Lazarus diving 32m - 33m. (Yes over 100ft if you are talking in the old language. )
I actually had to convince Andrew to anchor into over 30m because he didn't believe he could even reach that depth. :lol:

Anyway I am keen to teach another course, however I will have to push it into April. I'm just about to move house this week and need to get a few things sorted. Would say later in April at this stage.

I think I mentioned to a few people in the course that I did an interview with ABC Radio National that same week. It just got aired last weekend, here is a podcast for it :-
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/offtrack/free-diving-with-walter-steyn/4558520

cheers,
Wal