It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:38

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 19:13 
Expert Member (SFD)

http://www.theage.com.au/world/shark-at ... 2f5fb.html

Firstly, how horrible for the family and friends, eye witness etc.

However, what a reckless act by an officer! Police enforcing the law on the marine world now! Didn't even ask the shark if it was responsible I bet. Seriously, is killing a shark really the answer??? After all, we are entering their world. We all take a chance with the odds when we get in the drink. Poor form I say.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 19:58 
Forum Member

Justified if u ask me trying to retrieve a body when their a re two sharks circling. Why put the lives and limbs of life savers at risk when u can deter them or ensure that they cannot? A man was killed it is not as though it was just a shark come to close to swimmers at the beach.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 20:55 
Fanatical Senior Member

Fuck you're a troll Thommo. Don't think it's unnoticed.

A bloke got killed skindiving in Wa a year or two back. The family said they didn't want the shark responsible hurt as the man knew what he was getting into when he entered the water. I feel the same way, it would be an absolute privilege to see a GWS in the water. Scary no doubt, and I would get straight out of the water but it would be amazing to see the one true Apex predator left. All other Apex predators in the wild are hunted or killed by humans, I would like to see people identify that sharks are evolutionary tuned to find food. When we enter their kingdom, we take the risk.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 22:52 
Expert Member (SFD)

thommo3337 wrote:
Justified if u ask me trying to retrieve a body when their a re two sharks circling. Why put the lives and limbs of life savers at risk when u can deter them or ensure that they cannot? A man was killed it is not as though it was just a shark come to close to swimmers at the beach.

Yeap dead right. The sharks were shot at to stop them finishing off the body. If it was one of your family you'd want something to bury too.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 23:00 
Forum Member

Thanks for that Tom

All I did was state my opinion didn't get personnel like u but if u want to go their I would say that you are a spoilt little girl that gets upset when people don't agree with your statements and a doogooder!!!! If u can't handle a difference of opinion maybe you shouldn't read forum posts I didn't say anything about killing all sharks all I stated was that the life guards were trying to recover the body when two sharks were hindering the efforts upon the police officer firing shots they went away and made the body safe to retrieve. I don't believe the family of this shark attack have said anything that they didn't want the shark shot (nothing has been stated) it was purely from an Ohs issue.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 14:53 
Forum Member

If a shark had just killed a friend or family member and was swimming off with the body I would have done the exact same thing.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 17:05 
Forum Member

If I was a family member of the shark I'd feel the same way

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 19:16 
Fanatical Senior Member

thommo3337 wrote:
Thanks for that Tom

All I did was state my opinion didn't get personnel like u but if u want to go their I would say that you are a spoilt little girl that gets upset when people don't agree with your statements and a doogooder!!!! If u can't handle a difference of opinion maybe you shouldn't read forum posts I didn't say anything about killing all sharks all I stated was that the life guards were trying to recover the body when two sharks were hindering the efforts upon the police officer firing shots they went away and made the body safe to retrieve. I don't believe the family of this shark attack have said anything that they didn't want the shark shot (nothing has been stated) it was purely from an Ohs issue.

tomfraser wrote:
Fuck you're a troll Thommo. Don't think it's unnoticed.

Enough said

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 12:22 
Forum Member

He was just voicing his fair and valid opinion... No need to be a douche.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 14:26 
Forum Member

Blacky you are a complete dick.

Can't believe that you think, given the circumstances, that the copper was wrong to shoot at the sharks responsible for the gruesome bloody death of a man.

Your PC Environmental Awards posturing amounts to a colossal wank stain.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 18:34 
Expert Member (SFD)

rosco, as far as I am aware you have never met me and after your personal comments you had better hope you don't! I am entitled to have an opinion as are you. In the article I read it said nothing about the shark pissing off with the body. All it mentioned was that sharks were circling. In Aus the only people with the authority to kill a GW are fisheries I believe. The impression I got was the cop shot and then thought, instead of the other way around. Next time I will keep my opinion to myself in such a terrible incident. Truth is none of us were there and really shouldn't comment I suppose. As per usual the media don't report everything accurately. None the less I still feel we share the environment and just because someone died after taking a risk which they were aware of doesn't mean you kill everything.

Have you ever seen a shark in the wild rosco? It's a pretty fucking awesome sight! And I don't believe you were there to assess the circumstances either! So keep your abuse to yourself ya muppet!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 02:43 
Forum Member

Blacky mate u should never feel as though u should keep your opinion to yourself articles like this are good to hear both sides of the story the bitchyness on this site needs to stop in order for the sport to grow your side of the story was valid as people have backed up and your comment shouldn't be ridiculed as was mine. As u stated people don't know each other and should treat their comments as though they were standing face to face. If this was the case I guarantee their would be a lot less nasty comments flying around. Take care mate!!
Thanks for putting up the post a very divided topic!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 12:30 
Forum Member

Lighten up Blacky...it's just the internet. Anonymous shitfights are par for the course.

To ease your obvious strain - what shits me is either comments from the religous right of the Greens or blokey blokes that like to identify with apex predators. The former leads to policies that proscribes that any manner of sensible fuel control is anathema to the evironment so if you live in a fire prone area, you should expect to get burnt out one day and possibly lose your family...I could go on, but trust me the Greens/State/Federal policy on native vegetation control is criminally insane. The extension of this kind of bent, rabid, environmentalist thinking to the aquatic zone means that there can't be a review of the GW protected status in WA despite the increasing death rate.

If you had been in that helicopter with that copper in NZ witnessing the full horror of that attack, would you have tried to interfere with that bucket of emotion being expressed through that hail of bullets? That's in effect what you said you would do.

The well spring of your comments is either you think we should just meekly accept natures occaisional, random, intense brutality even as it is happening, or you feel respect for a fellow apex predator and you are just indulging in a bit of callous braggadocio. Whatever it is - I don't care. I find both attitudes equally shitfull. I don't mind you expressing your opinion, but don't expect everyone to respect it.

My starting point is to put yourself in the picture as witnessed by the grieving family and I hope a dead, bullet ridden GW washes up on that shore.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 16:32 
Expert Member (SFD)

Wow! How insightful rosco. All from a bloke who likes "the niceness of the Blue Grouper". Who's the Greeny??

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 18:33 
Forum Member

yeah well...I've never claimed to be consistant. 8)

I just like the idea that at least one cute member of the wrasse family can have a nice, unmolested time of it.

...and I friggin hate the Greens. An insipid, clueless pack of cnuts.

Apologies too if I've offended. Too much melted cheese of late.