It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:00

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 17:06 
Forum Member

on blue groper... when I was at a eden a few months ago the populations looked very healthy. It was the second most common fish I saw after luderick (blackfish/niggas), im talking about the females as well as males. More females around but still plenty of males and some big ones too. I don't really care for shooting them anyway as im happy to just look but just agreeing with some of the above statements...there seems to be plenty around. Whilst not quite a flighty as a luderick, I found that they definatly not like a tame puppy dog as generally accepted. They piss off pretty quick when they see you.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 18:33 
Expert Member (SFD)

thommo3337 wrote:
From what I understand about the spearing of blue groper is their has been a ban placed as they don't know anything about them in the Victorian water ways once they have researched their breeding cycles etc they can then make an informed desision on how to beat go about sizing and takes etc. They are playing it safe to ensure future stocks (this is how it was explained to me by someone who was part of the desision)

Who ever told you that is talking shit mate! They didnt even know that we had Western(not eastern) Blue Groper here till people who actually new what they were talking about told them. They were crapping on about "the friendly gaints of the sea" that were making a come back to our waters after being wiped out by spearos. CSIRO have the info (from us spearos) to prove that the so call friendly gaints never existed in the first place west of the Prom. Was a knee jurk reaction that will never be over turned

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 18:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

the brown mullet wrote:
thommo3337 wrote:
From what I understand about the spearing of blue groper is their has been a ban placed as they don't know anything about them in the Victorian water ways once they have researched their breeding cycles etc they can then make an informed desision on how to beat go about sizing and takes etc. They are playing it safe to ensure future stocks (this is how it was explained to me by someone who was part of the desision)

Who ever told you that is talking shit mate! They didnt even know that we had Western(not eastern) Blue Groper here till people who actually new what they were talking about told them. They were crapping on about "the friendly gaints of the sea" that were making a come back to our waters after being wiped out by spearos. CSIRO have the info (from us spearos) to prove that the so call friendly gaints never existed in the first place west of the Prom. Was a knee jurk reaction that will never be over turned

+1 mullet

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 00:36 
Forum Member

the brown mullet wrote:
thommo3337 wrote:

U have just agreed with what i said. They didn't know enough about them (as they didn't know they existed) and therefore want to play it safe and study everything to make sure there are sustainable practises put in place. As I have stated this is what I have been told and u have just agreed with what I said. How can u say something is sustainable if u didn't know the species existed the know all scientists need time to observe these fish that they didn't know even existed (and are embarrassed)
I do not condone it I am just putting it out there how it was explained to me when I brought up the point about spearing blue groper.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 08:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

They didn't agree with what you said Thommo. Nobody is doing any study, it's just a pointless ban to try and win some green credibility. No science has been or will be involved.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 10:12 
Forum Member

Greg wrote:
They didn't agree with what you said Thommo. Nobody is doing any study, it's just a pointless ban to try and win some green credibility. No science has been or will be involved.

Fair enough then. I was told their was if their isn't then I was told shit no arguments here. How would one go about finding out if their is infact research being undertaken? (Is wrong to not permit an activity based on further research needs to be completed then not undertake any)

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 19:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

Welcome to the world of Spearfishing Thommo!

From memory the Greens wanted Marine parks but the Gov couldn't give em in the end so they got the Groper. I'd love for you to get some answers out of em but I reckon I've got a better chance of Greg showing his monster Gummy pic!

(Sorry Greg, couldn't resist!)

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 22:09 
Forum Member

At least I feel the majority of the people realise now that the greens are a dag hanging off a dogs ass. I will try and see if I can get anymore information on the subject.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 10:22 
Expert Member (SFD)

hmmm, the Ban on taking Blue Groper expires this month after its first 12month extension. Who want's to place bets on another 12month extension?? No research has been done that I know of, other then Reefwatch/ Great Vic fish count logging them.

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 10:50 
Expert Member (SFD)

Re blue groper

Seems to me that there are lots of fisheries rules that were put in place for a reason decades ago, and nobody really knows why. Maybe it just seemed like a good idea at the time. We don't know if the rules worked (we cant if we don't know why they are there) but the rules stay in place. Blue groper in Vic may be the same. Its probably the case in NSW.

Standing back and casting abuse may make you feel better, but it doesn't assist to rectify the situation. Seems to me that when you talk to a bureacracy, you need to speak bureacratic language. If you talk politely, there is a better chance you get a good hearing.

I suggest that the appropriate way to address this situation is to get a clear statement of the management goals for this species, and then erect criteria with which you evaluate the success or otherwise of the management regime (in this case, banning of spearing). Once the success (or not) is determined, its time to reconsider the rules.

Comments?

Ric