It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:02

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 23:30 
Fanatical Senior Member

Just had a chat with my uncle who's he'll bent on catching a cray in a hoop net while fishing! Just put him onto a couple of spot but wondering if anyone has had any luck and what bait they had luck with? Could Fisheries nab you for abs if it was under your limit on an an day? Probably but would they?

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 01:13 
Fanatical Senior Member

I haven't done it myself but saw guys getting heaps at Thunder Point a few years ago.

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 01:31 
Fanatical Senior Member

I've had fisheries ask to check my berley bucket that was dangling on a rope in the water 7m down off a pier. There reason for checking was to see if I was using mammal blood or offal. So it wouldn't surprise me if they check anything and everything including a crayfish hoop.

What was funny was that I was fishing on Central pier behind Etihad. I asked, Why the hell would I be trying to catch sharks in the docklands!

Geoff

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 08:01 

I caught a cray on a line once in NZ. I could see the cray from the surface sitting at the edge of a hole, I put a bit of Butterfish on a hook as bait and dropped it in front of him. As he moved over the bait I jagged him. I was fishing from a wharf with people everywhere, should've seen their faces when I pulled up a cray, he put up a good fight too!
I can't answer questions about abs though. What do the commercial pots use for bait?

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 08:43 
Expert Member (SFD)

Used Coota with good results hoopnetting out of Port Campbell while out snapper fishing. Also a Lino mate from Torquay uses Coota for crays when he nets and dives on air. Not sure about the abs, rekon they would frown upon it due in part to the virus.

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 09:10 
Forum Member

Don't believe you are aloud to use abalone as bait or berley (not 100% sure) have heard of people coaxing them out with the humble pilchard from under ledges so I would say it wold be sufficient bait.

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 11:09 

Check the Biosecurity page for abalone on the DPI website:

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/about-fisheries/legislation-and-regulation/fisheries-acts-and-codes/abalone-viral-ganglioneuritis.

2.4 Appropriate disposal of shells and viscera
[*]Abalone may only be shucked when the vessel returns to land.
[*]Under no circumstances should shells or viscera be dumped in the sea. This is especially important if the abalone are moved to another area when landed.
[*]Take abalone catch home and dispose of the waste with household rubbish.
[*]Under no circumstances should abalone viscera be used as fishing bait.

My uncle used to lay cray pots a lot outside the heads (back in the day when you could legally use cray pots recreationally) and used coota as bait - though he was laying them one day, then returning for them the next.

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 01:25 
Fanatical Senior Member

Done heaps of land based hoop netting in years gone by, taught by the 'old school'. We use full custom made nets which includes making the net mesh as well the hoops, absolutely devistating when you snag and loose one! The ones that you buy are virtual rubbish.

Best bait? Tough hardy fish are best; salmon, wrasse, barbers; sorry boys but couta is awesome but a bit soft if land based fishing, flesh exposure is very important as the cray will hold onto it when you retrieve it unlike a commercial bee hive pot. Out of a boat couta would be ok. Hoop nets are not pots and need tougher baits as the bait has more exposure to scavenging fish even if in a bait holder and because of this you need to check them every 20 to 30 minutes MAX unlike pots.

Don't even bother asking for places to fish.