It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 23:09

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 14:08 

Apologies for the no-spaces thread topic; it's got a character length limit and the full title wouldn't fit.

Full title would have read "Urgent - Petition to stop Commercial development of Victoria's National Parks, e.g. the Prom, Otways (e.g. Blanket Bay), Point Nepean (e.g Quarantine Station), etc."

Yep, the Napthine government is currently debating legislation to throw open Victoria's National Parks to commercial development on "99-year leases".

Apparently this has happened twice before in times past, and has luckily been defeated both times.

The VNPA are running a petition against this legislation, and there's only a few days of debating in Parliament left, so if you want to sign the petition, you need to do it pronto.

You can sign onto the petition here: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/han ... parks.html

There's also a list of reasons why this legislation is a bad idea at the VNPA's webpage here: http://vnpa.org.au/page/nature-conserva ... -our-parks

Apologies for the urgency - only just discovered the urgency of the situation myself recently.

Personally I don't want to see any further development down at the Prom - there's cabins and huts in Tidal River already if you're after something more solid than a tent to stay in.

And there's plenty of brick's 'n mortar accomodation in the townships around the Park if you're after something yet more substantial (and what's more, if a hotel gets built those townships stand to lose business that they currently survive on - wonder what'll happen with Fish Creek pub if a fancy hotel in Tidal River can offer similiar meals (as part of a hotel room package or even just to regular campers) for tourists going to/from the Prom?).

I don't see a need for some big, fancy hotel to get built down there.

And as for development in the Otways Park - how'd you feel if some whacking great hotel was set up at Blanket Bay or one of your other favourite spots down there?

Or at the Quarantine Station at Point Nepean?

If nothing else, what do you think it'll do to the place dive/crowd-wise?

The petition's out there - it's up to you what you want to do; just thought I should bring it to SFD's users attention.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 22:50 
Novice Member

I signed it, literally took 10 seconds.
Good post Roamin.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 11:22 
Fanatical Senior Member

I wonder how many signed out of the fifty views. I wonder how long it will be before the Libs want logging in NP like their NSW brethren.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 20:29 

I Signed almost as soon as roamin posted, blanket bay was where I got my first abalone when I was young, and also my first crayfish, at 1.7kg :) I would hate to see more development down there, the place has enough people There through summer already IMO

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 22:18 
Forum Member

I disagree. I think commercial development is a good idea. Development in these areas will attract tourists. Victorias economy has got fuck all going for it and it needs all the help it can get.

Before developers can get approval to build anything they will need environmental impact statements and other red tape so Victorias beautiful fauna and flora is spared a torturous death.

If the VNPA had it their way we would be spearfishing tofu shapped fish and wiping our arses with leaves (that have already fallen off a tree) and all of Victorias land and coast would be a National/marine park.

They have just commissioned a report into recreational fishing to lobby the government into restricting anglers more and will probably push for more marine parks

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 06:19 

I see your point sunshine, to be honest I would have to really read into it to decide 100% what my opinion was, but I can't easily do that atm. But growing up in the otways, I have found it massively different starting to spear around port Phillip bay, and really experienced the difference in marine life between heavily populated areas and not so populated areas, so that's my main reason to sign. I see what your saying with eco tourism but there are nearby towns that benefit from being close to these areas without being on top of them, at least to some extent wouldn't you say?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 13:01 
Fanatical Senior Member

Greg wrote:
I wonder how long it will be before the Libs want logging in NP like their NSW brethren.

Huh?????????????????????

We have been logging in Vic NP's for as long as I have been around!

Libs have nothing to do with it!

Brethren???

Loose spin Greg.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 13:38 
Fanatical Senior Member

Cdog we don't log in national parks and never have, only state forests. National parks are there for preservation and recreation. In NSW at the moment the Libs are trying to get through legislation that will allow logging in national parks.
Brethren is an English word meaning brothers.