It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:08

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 13:49 
Novice Member

Howdy fellas,

Just wondering if any of you are familiar with any 'hot spots' going around at this time of season for general species (eg; Flathead, Snapper & Squid)
Looking to have a good weekend with the lads so just hoping for advice on whereabouts are the best places to catch.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 18:02 
Novice Member

Try off the end of Simson St Portarlington, Theres a reef that sticks our the water and runs to your left.
In the weed on your right there are some good flathead! also going out the back with burley can bring in pinkies/snapper.

That is where I first cut my teeth!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 18:33 
Novice Member

shan_b wrote:
Try off the end of Simson St Portarlington, Theres a reef that sticks our the water and runs to your left.
In the weed on your right there are some good flathead! also going out the back with burley can bring in pinkies/snapper.

That is where I first cut my teeth!

Sweet thanks man, any tips on burley?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 19:34 

That area is called 'Steeles Rocks' - the 'reef' is actually a cresent shaped rock formation that runs from more or less the end of Simpson Street out and around and then ends kinda near the entrance to the boat ramp. At low tide some of it is clearly visible.

Flattys, Snapper and Duskies are about, lots of garfish if you take them, but in general that areas pretty devoid of life (gets smashed by spearos and line fisherman these days, especially in summer). You can also find wild mussels and *sometimes* legal sized abalone - though given its about the only spot that far into the heads you will find abalone this side of the bay, chances of a legal one are pretty slim.

But, the water is calm and its divable on southerly winds, so .... youknow.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 19:39 
Novice Member

ossk wrote:
That area is called 'Steeles Rocks' - the 'reef' is actually a cresent shaped rock formation that runs from more or less the end of Simpson Street out and around and then ends kinda near the entrance to the boat ramp. At low tide some of it is clearly visible.

Flattys, Snapper and Duskies are about, lots of garfish if you take them, but in general that areas pretty devoid of life (gets smashed by spearos and line fisherman these days, especially in summer). You can also find wild mussels and *sometimes* legal sized abalone - though given its about the only spot that far into the heads you will find abalone this side of the bay, chances of a legal one are pretty slim.

But, the water is calm and its divable on southerly winds, so .... youknow.

Sweet, thanks heaps I'll be sure to check it out - I'll post some stuff up if I actually catch :)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 19:43 

If its squid yer after, they are starting to come into the bay - that side of the peninsula your best bet is to the right of the Ozone around the grass beds. I've never been successful *there*, but I'm told that is one of their breeding spots.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 10:55 
Novice Member

Im thinking about heading down there either Sunday or Monday
Raco if go down there would you mind posting up what visibility is like.
Im not sure if it would be any good having these strong winds for the last few days .

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 15:41 
Novice Member

BoSs wrote:
Im thinking about heading down there either Sunday or Monday
Raco if go down there would you mind posting up what visibility is like.
Im not sure if it would be any good having these strong winds for the last few days .

No stress man. I'll be in St Leonards from Monday - Thursday I'll post on vis there and if I'm not going good there I'll defs head down to Port for the day :)