It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:15

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Newbie to Spearfishing
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 00:22 
Novice Member

Hey Guys, Daniel from Warrnambool here.

I am relatively new to spear fishing but not to the forum, I lurked around threatening to get serious about it a while back.
Now, I finally have a bit of an income still only being in school. And am saving some $$ to get myself some half decent gear after getting away with some sub grade stuff for a while and the good ol' Hawian Sling. Not that I ever caught much.

Been doing a fair bit of craying in the mean time getting to know the spots and only catching a few crays in between.

But here is where I am at if I can get some advice.

Just bought myself a dive knife with the strap and everything, got myself a nice long wetsuit, good snorkel and a decent pair of flippers.

I think I still need a few things however, thinking of DIY myself a good float setup consisting of a rubber pool ring with a bucket and flag in the center, so that I can keep my catch above the water. Or would I be better off doing it another way.

Also need to get some gloves and maybe a dive belt?
Plus ofcourse a spear gun, I have never owned one and have heard of 1m euro guns, but not exactly sure what is meant by that.
My budget would be up to about $200 for the gun.

No stranger to line fishing so if anyone ever needs a few clues around Warrnambool for that sort of thing, it is no issue for me to help, as I know the area pretty well.

Thanks
Daniel

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 10:22 

There's a spearfishing club down your way out of Port Fairy called the Shipwreck Coast Skindivers. Search for them on google and facebook mate. That could be a good start to try and find dive buddies close by. There are a lot of questions answered on this forum so simply use the search function. But make sure you invest in a decent float with a prominent dive flag and try not to dive alone. All the best with it.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 21:21 
Novice Member

Thanks for that info, have joined the group on facebook and recieved a good response from my first post.
After a bit of reading upping my budget is a good idea. So thinking around $400 for my first gun, now I just have to save.
Look forward to sharing my progress over the next month and then further on.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2013, 11:18 
Forum Member

My first gun was an Ocean Hunter 800mm for $100.00! no complaints Puggy.. I've got my second gun now which is 1.2m but I don't see myself needing to upgrade the smaller gun for a long time! :)