It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:42

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Putting out the feelers!
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 22:04 
Novice Member

Good evening all,

Ive fancied trying spear fishing for a long while now! im new (ish) to the area, living in Clyde and im wondering where is the best place to look at getting some gear sorted out? any advice on what spear guns to look at and look away from? Also what gear is recommended as a minimum while "testing the waters". Im also interested to hear peoples opinions on where would be a good location to start diving as a complete novice and is a diving buddy an absoloute must?

I hope it isnt to many questions to start but I dare say I will have a lot more to ask.... lol

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 01:20 
Forum Member

Port Phillip Bay would be good for you to start with, you're about 35min from Mt Eliza.

Western Port I'm pretty sure is just all mud on the north end and I've only really done flinders but that's about 50min from you.

Dive buddy I'd definitely say is a must. Safety first.

Mask and Snorkel would be handy to have :P

Can't think of any spear guns to look away from...

Any sling / spear gun should have some level of capability of getting a fish...

* There are a lot of topics on these forums, lots of info to be read. A lot of your questions would be answered somewhere or another :)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 10:12 
Novice Member

Cheap mask, snorkel, fins set will let you get out for some dives without breaking the bank. BCF has a pack for about $70-80 which is okay to start but you could always get a cheaper kmart pack.

Wetsuit is nice (really nice) but this time of year you could get some short dives in without one.

Hand spears are cheap (~$30-50) and will be able to land you some leatherjackets and flatties quite easily, might e able to get some salmon, etc. with practice otherwise a second hand gun will save you some cash, avoid the Anaconda/BCF guns, they are rubbish. A gun around 1m is a good all rounder for the bays and back beaches.

Oonce you decide to spend some more and upgrade gear Legendary Skindiving or Esclapez Australia are both great with quality products and lots of knowledge to share.

Mornington Peninsula has plenty of options, Mt Martha, Mt Eliza, Mornington, Portsea. Use google maps to look along the coast to find some reefs and structure. Stick with the bay for starters. Pick a day with gentle wind (<8-10knots is good) to improve visibly.

Definitely find a buddy and watch out for boats!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 18:54 
Novice Member

I am also new to this forum and new to spearfishing.

If I know how to swim/snorkel, how important is it to do a free diving course?

moonz88, if you need a buddy, I would be happy to join you.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 20:38 
Novice Member

It is not difficult to freedive without doing a course. Especially if you have scuba experience to help you with equalization.

I was spearfishing frequenty for quite a while before I did a course and never had any dramas. In saying that it wasn't until I did a course that I realized how many things I was doing wrong and how dangerous some of my habits had been.

Freediving is easy , freediving safely is easier after a course. It may also help you improve bottom times, but it's not a quick fix, just provides you with knowledge on how to improve.

An alternative would be to find someone to teach you the basics and search the forums here for tips.