It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:47

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Somers?
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 13:22 
Forum Member

My folks just retired and moved to a house in Somers. I'm heading there for dinner on Sunday but thought I should go down early to get some spearfishing in!

I haven't done any in a long time so I'm pretty out of the loop. Forgotten what little I used to know (did my ankle at basketball so haven't been able to paddle, esp. with the massive fins - but I think it's right to go now).

Has anyone spearfished down at Somers before? It looks kinda average from google maps but hoping in the grass there will be some flathead or something...

No need to give me a specific spot, but some hints where to go or even knowledge that there is somewhere there should keep me going! I remember spending a lot of time swimming a long way at Flinders, so I'd like to have something good in mind before going down!

Couple other quick questions to jog my memory:
- Down at Somers, what wind am I looking for? Is it North/ North Westerly? I get confused which way the wind blows/comes from...
- How much weights to use for a 3.5inch wetsuit? From memory I used to use 4 or 5 of the standard ones.

Post subject: Re: Somers?
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 12:33 
Forum Member

Also I have no idea about floundering, but figure it could be a good spot for that at nighttime - does anyone have any links handy to good sites explaining how it works? I assume I just walk around with a torch trying to find a fish...

Post subject: Re: Somers?
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 09:01 
Forum Member

If anyone comes across this on a google search or something, Somers sucked :(

By the time I got out there it was low tide (can thank the missus for takin 2 hours to get ready in the morning!) so very shallow.
Lots and lots and lots and lots of long grass, which I can only assume hid all the fish. I didn't see any fish except a small leatherjacket.

Also 2 things on my gun broke and I forgot a booty so all in all a crappy day. The beer after the walk back up the beach made it all worthwhile though...

As for floundering, I got too drunk at dinner (cheers dad for buying) so that was a no-go. Next time.