It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 15:21

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 12:21 
Novice Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-08/m ... st/5247528

As a newbie to Spearfishing (*ready for newbie abuse*), I am wondering what experienced Spearo's opinions are to these events?
I am just getting into Spearing and I am a wear of what could happen out there one day and that's a risk I am willing to take to have a great time out in the bays. I am more afraid of a Blackout than I am of getting a limb "removed" by a shark. I am certainly against the culling of these misunderstood predators but how often are they really seen by Spearo's in the bays? And when they are seen how often are they aggressive towards divers?

Has anyone had any "near attack" experiences in Victorian waters had to defend their self?
Is there really a war under the waves or bad press getting worse due to people who have no idea?

I am keen to hear peoples thoughts.

Chris

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 15:01 
Novice Member

Bad press.
99% Of the time a shark will see you and swim off before you see it.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 17:06 
Forum Member

moonz88 wrote:
As a newbie to Spearfishing (*ready for newbie abuse*), I am wondering what experienced Spearo's opinions are to these events?

I am not a spearo, but as a freediver diving this part of the world I may add my own 2c.

moonz88 wrote:
I am more afraid of a Blackout than I am of getting a limb "removed" by a shark.

And rightly so, since it is a more common experience.

moonz88 wrote:
but how often are they really seen by Spearo's in the bays?

Incidents are reported in:
http://sharkattackfile.info/shark-attac ... sharks.asp
but sightings are not, hence it is difficult to be specific on it.
Moreover, incidents should NOT be taken as indicators of attack probability, since the population-at-risk is unknown. For example, a deserted stretch of coast may have seen no shark-related incidents, not because it is devoid of sharks but because is devoid of targets (divers, surfers, swimmers).

moonz88 wrote:
And when they are seen how often are they aggressive towards divers?
Has anyone had any "near attack" experiences in Victorian waters had to defend their self?

Scott was harassed by one (a Broadnose Sevengill) at Pyramid Rock, other spearos reported being harassed too in the same area by the same kind of shark. Broadnose Sevengills are relatively small and not much aggressive towards human, but certainly can inflict serious wounds.

If you are serious about safety: dive with a buddy, and bring only ONE gun. If you bring only one gun, you are forced to take turns at diving; in case of black-out, or of a shark approaching (not to mention a jetski oblivious of your float), the guy watching can help the guy diving.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 19:36 
Expert Member (SFD)

How does the guy with no gun help the guy getting sharked? Its plenty too soon for this conversation, suffice to say sharks live in the water, 99% of the time you will have no trouble.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 19:54 
Forum Member

kiwi_scott wrote:
How does the guy with no gun help the guy getting sharked?
D
1) Keeping a watch for incoming sharks (more often than not, they observe the potential prey before attacking);
2) Dragging the victim ashore if an attack did happen (even a relatively minor wound can prevent the victim from swimming back to shore and bled to death).

Anyway, the behaviour of sharks depends on size, visibility, species, etc. I had a couple of encounters (Red Sea and Fitzroy Islands) with Whitetip reef sharks, and ,in both occasions, they ignored me... a Tiger shark may have had a different attitude towards me though.

Having said that, the drive to the beach is probably more dangerous than the dive itself.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 21:13 
Forum Member

RIP to the spearo, so sad.

I've always been scared of sharks while I'm in the water, since one of the guys spotted that bronze at Black Rock I've been terrified and haven't been able to dive by myself since, even though I was doing it at least once a week after work.

Although never having visibility over 4 meters before and then experiencing 12 meter visibility on back beaches with Geoff, it's safe to say the fear factor vanishes almost completely, you feel much safer when you know you could potentially see the bugger coming from a bus length away!

it doesn't make you invincible of course I know, but it does help me worry a lot less!