It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:09

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Keen Noob Introduction
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 17:06 
Novice Member

Hi All! I am a brand new member here and brand new to spearfishing. I'm a tragic fisho, love freshwater fishing back in Canada and became addicted to salt when I moved to Melbourne a couple years ago. Never tried spearing until recently.

I was out for a swim at Williamstown Beach, studying a Dusky Morwong and thinking to myself "!##%! I wish I could drop a line in front of this fish right now!" The morwong stopped at the edge of one rock and I was watching it sit still for a couple minutes, it let me get shockingly close. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a reflection very close to me and it startled me a bit, then I realised the reflection was attached to a speargun! Mate took a shot, just missed.

We surfaced and talked for a few minutes about spearfishing in Port Phillip Bay, where to find decent equipment at good value, seasonal visibility, all sorts of stuff...in the end I was STOKED to get started! I went to one of the big box tackle stores last weekend and bought a Hawaiian Sling, cheap but decent construction. Went out to Williamstown Beach again and practiced shooting for about an hour on weeds, marks in the sand, just messing about. Just as I was feeling good about hitting the marks, I saw another Morwong. Took a shot but it turned just as I was releasing and I only scraped it. Still - what a thrill!

I can't wait to get out again. I need to get gear though - bloody cold without a wetsuit, even for a Canadian! I was out there in my boardies with a handspear, thinking about how nice it would be to have a proper gun, wetsuit, fins, gloves, and all the other gear that I've been researching online for the last week.

So - basically looking to find people who are willing to put up with a keen noob and also looking for some recommendations regarding beginner gear.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 18:51 
Novice Member

I'm a noob to the forum too but welcome!! Theres a meeting first Tuesday of every month which I found a great way to chat to like-minded peeps..

Jez :)