It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:13

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 07:46 
Novice Member

Howdy, I'm heading over to live in Melbourne from the 27th May. I wasn't initially planning on bringing my gear, but suspect I'll start chewing off my arm with nothing to do after a few months.

Any advice on the diving in Victoria? I've been based out of Wellington NZ for last 20 years, always boat diving off Kapiti Island. Generally hunting Tarakihi down to 20m in 15-17 degree water (3mm wetty) and 8-15m Viz. Get into the odd kingfish when we target them. We are pretty lucky really here in terms of fishlife. Most good days we are thumping bag limits of 20 fish which is all well and good until you then have to spend the evening filleting...

some vids here if you are interested of some typical drops. Mask and gun mount GoPro's.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rH5ukT755s[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQ-cL3g_GI[/youtube]

If I bring some gear over, are there people looking for another keen spearo to show around?

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 12:04 
Expert Member (SFD)

Bring your gear. Diving is pretty similar at times to some spots in Welly - rocky exposed coast, seasonal mid size kingfish and small snapper, plenty of crays and abs (local version of paua) around. Can find the odd tarakihi in some areas, similar ground to where you'd find them NZ but normally solo fish not big schools. No butterfish though :cry:

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 19:10 
Novice Member

You guys use burly? We typically set a pot about 14m and see what schools in. Shellfish and kina seems to be a local delicacy, especially with the tarakihi.