It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:21

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Floats - a quick rant
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 21:43 
Expert Member (SFD)

Here is something I wrote for a few non-spearos about floats, this will be preaching to the converted for a lot of you but a few spearos I see out and about could learn a thing or two as well. A float is the only thing between you and getting flattened by a boat, and if you're ever lost is the probably only thing that has a realistic chance of being seen.

Competitive spearfishing has minimum standards for competitor floats that have done an excellent job at not losing people at sea, and every time you go for a dive (spearing or not) you have the same needs from a float as anyone. For the benefit of people not familiar with competitive spearfishing, here is a run down of a decent float and its features. These features should be considered a minimum - those who have run into me in the ocean know how big my regular float is.
The next time you are in the ocean ask yourself - can that boat behind me see me? If I get injured/swept down-current/lost, can my rescuers find me? Can I signal passing boats for assistance? If you have any questions about getting your float set up right get in touch.

Points to notice on the float:

- big and bright. Spearing floats need to have a minimum size of 7 litres in either yellow, orange or red. If your float doesn't fit these requirements fix it.

- nice big blue and white 'alpha' flag. This is the only flag for divers with any legal meaning under Australian maritime law, the red/white flag has no standing here. If you want to supplement it with additional hi-vis components that's great.

- tall flag pole. There is no point towing a flag nobody can see because its 10 cm from the water line in 1ft swell. Many commercially available floats have flags way too short.

- mirror and loud whistle. If you don't have these on your float, get them. You can whistle for a lot longer time than you can yell, and a signal to a passing boat/aircraft from a mirror travels a long way.

-reflective panel. this self adhesive reflective tape ("SOLAS tape") can be easily got from any boating store or online, its similar material to what is found on lifejackets. When rescuers are looking for you with image intensifiers, it glows.

Attachments:
float2.jpg
float2.jpg [ 243.85 KiB | Viewed 3037 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2015, 19:00 
Fanatical Senior Member

Great post, well written mate, very concise.
Take note all who are new to spearfishing, freediving and snorkelling in general, this is the FIRST piece of equipment you should invest in after your mask!!

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015, 10:06 
Fanatical Senior Member

Great post Kiwi. :P

Cdog wrote:
this is the FIRST piece of equipment you should invest in after your mask!!

+1. :P
On the 1st day of nationals with close to an hour to go Carly was hit by a set of 3 consecutive big waves in a relatively calm area which resulted in her losing her mask. If it wasn't for the fact she acted quickly AND used her float as bouyancy aid she could have been in more difficulty.

Her next step was, if needed be, was to dump her weight belt. But she was able to use the float to hold herself up, keeping her head above water while she paddled closer to shore to shallower safer conditions.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2015, 05:53 
Fanatical Senior Member

Looking for the thread about cdogs plaques. ( kayak chop) float.?
Good place to keep your fish off your body too.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2015, 07:02 
Fanatical Senior Member

+1 Scott

... just remember to add a lot of common sense to your float guys
Having flag and float alone does not make you invulnerable