It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 14:27

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 20:13 
Expert Member (SFD)

Anyone know spots in Inverloch or Phillip island for a legal reef? Hi I'm heading up to Inverloch but because Phillip island isn't to far off my family is okay with driving me to Phillip island for Christmas. Now I know that Inverlach has extreme currents so don't get me wrong I need a suitable place where there isn't a swell, scary current or big ass great Wight sharks as im new don't judge but sharks scare the S*** out of me.

Personal Instagram: Ben_Ashkanasy
Spearfishing Instagram: BashkainSpearfishing

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 01:27 
Fanatical Senior Member

Sharks can be anywhere just look what happened in the "true" story Sharknado. :mrgreen:

.....most spearing beach locations have varying levels of currents so best to do your homework about an area, pick the right day, have a dive buddy or even better go with somebody that knows the area and have proper safety equipment (float, flag, etc). As for Inverloch having extreme currents maybe in the inlet but you can't spearfish in there.

.....not many places to spearfish in Inverloch. You can only spearfish in smallish area between Anderson's Inlet and Bunarong marine park. I think it's an area called Flat Rocks.
Your closest spots are Cape Paterson "Swimming beach" (not surf beach) small bay left of the big rock pool but again pick the right day as current can be strong as you get 100m+ off the beach. Harmers Haven then Kilcunda are other spots but are more open to the ocean so best to dive when you get more experience.

As for Phillip Island
Sunderland Bay can be a good beginners spot but out wide the current can be quite strong especially with the out going tide.
Someone else more experienced may give you more info regarding PI (Phillip Island) locations such as YCW, Cat bay, Kitty Miller, etc

Geoff

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 08:06 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hahahah sharknado got me laughing, thank you for that and information i will look into that. Maybe i should get a dive buddy off the forums, my brother isn't the smartest.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 16:09 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hi Bashkan - probably I will be at Cape Patterson most of summer (next to Inverloch) see how we go but if all goes to plan I will be there and diving most days.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 17:57 
Expert Member (SFD)

Alan M wrote:
Hi Bashkan - probably I will be at Cape Patterson most of summer (next to Inverloch) see how we go but if all goes to plan I will be there and diving most days.

Okay I would be happy to spear some fish with you. I'm 15 just letting you know. I will be there from Christmas to the 28th of December so if you're able to we could meet up for a dive.