It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 19:40

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 09:07 
Expert Member (SFD)

As per Brett's request - so my wishlist

1. Publish the club aggregate
2. More information about comps in the lead up to each comp - date / time / conditions / areas to dive
3. At club meetings there are lots of senior members who could teach us heaps....

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 23:57 
Expert Member (SFD)

Education about spear fishing and Freediving would be great!
Types of rigging and when to use them, pros and cons (eg reel vs break away lines etc)
Species specific behaviour, when, where and how.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 05:44 
Fanatical Senior Member

I know I'm not a member but I'd love it if you took inedible fish of your score sheet and raised the weight. If that was done I'd join the club and dive your comps.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 09:41 
Fanatical Senior Member

Who judges the inedible fish Greg, an Ignorant mash and sausage Aussie or one of our Chinese customers that show me pictures of the wonderful family meals prepared from so called inedible species?
Up the weight, there's an idea! Oh wait it been done. Result, the Junior and beginners have difficulty presenting fish. They either come to one comp and are bitterly disappointed at having their few fish rejected and never come back or persist and shoot a particular species repetitively to get and upgrade they may weigh. Instead of killing just one or two fish of a particular species you sometime end up killing half a dozen or so.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 10:59 
Expert Member (SFD)

Greg wrote:
I know I'm not a member but I'd love it if you took inedible fish of your score sheet and raised the weight. If that was done I'd join the club and dive your comps.

The exact reason we have the Vic Challenge Greg! And Paul the only size changes were Trev to 400grams(still a little Trev) Banded mowong to 500grams(bloody small still) and Zeb to 500! And how many juniors would have a chance at those fish??? Zebs would be their best chance.
These changes don't deter juniors! When competitions are held all over the state its a bit hard for parents to get these young kids to the locations! Then when the parents see some of the conditions we dive (hence why we try to pick better conditions) they are less likely to let them dive. Not every kid has a dad who also spears! We have a lot more 18-20 odd guys around the club than we have ever had....

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 11:17 
Expert Member (SFD)

Zebs are everywhere and pretty easy to shoot....500gms alludes me though...

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 11:56 
Expert Member (SFD)

Alan M wrote:
Zebs are everywhere and pretty easy to shoot....500gms alludes me though...

Really a 500 gram Zeb is tiny. When u dive enough comp you learn the areas where bigger fish hang out, and picking the bigger ones to spear instead of spearing any fish. Sometimes you just need to cover a lot of ground by swimming more. It's all a learning curve

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 17:33 
Expert Member (SFD)

Perhaps getting back to the topic post would be a good idea.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 17:36 
Expert Member (SFD)

Greg,
If your serious about changing the rules (not that I personally agree with your suggestions) then join the club and lobby for the changes. Otherwise your like a voter who pulls a donkey vote at the elections then complains about the government. If your not a memes you don't get a vote!