It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 13:13

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 02:43 
Novice Member

Hi all

New to the forum and pretty new to spearfishing, but grew up in the in water of WA - spearfishing is going to take me back into it. However, various things have slowed me down in getting there, but the drive down to the water from the northern suburbs (without toll roads!!!) has really cramped my style. My drive time one-way is longer than my in-the-water time, (and that says nothing about the half hour it takes me to get suited up...).

Fortunately (?) I have to move out of the inner suburbs because its getting just too expensive. If I am going to move out, its going to be near the water. I am trying to figure out, should I be looking at Frankston or Geelong?

Geelong seems a little more accessible in terms of prices, a full town that's still easy to drive around in. Both are about an hour out of Melbourne on the train, which is a must for me. However, not sure the Bellarine is as rich in good spots as, say, the backbeaches of Mornington.

Last summer, the waters of Frankston (to my inexperienced eyes) seemed as if they was shot out to hell. Quite disturbing. A splash around Leopold seemed to reveal a healthier ecosystem, but a hell of a lot of rays and not much target species. And I'm not sure which would be better, the Surf Coast or the beaches and bay/s east of Mornington?

There's clearly a wealth of experience here in the forum. I am happy to admit my ignorance - only been in Melbourne for a few years and I'm obviously at the start of my learning curve with spearfishing. But this is a big choice, one I'll have to live with for several years.

So what would you advise? Frankston or Geelong?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 23:37 
Expert Member (SFD)

frankston for sure mate.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 13:58 
General Committee Member

Geelong for sure. Just follow Octopussy to all his favourite spots:)