It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:47

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 2012 Kingfish Cup.
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 10:00 
General Committee Member

This years Kingfish Cup Is calendered for the weekend 18th/19th Feb.One of the significant factors to this year’s event was where it was running from . Wakerville and I believe Rob has organised a tractor for launch and retrieves.
There have been a few good fish shot already this year so its really promising for a great weekend.
Rules and entry forms will be available very soon.

Victorian Kingfish Cup – General information ( These are NOT the actual rules )

The Victorian Kingfish Cup will run under Victorian Spearfishing competition rules with the following exceptions:
Divers must dive in pairs with one diver to remain on the surface at all times and within 30 meters of their float and flag. One float/flag minimum per pair but two flag/floats are ok.
Each dive float is to have an ‘alpha flag’ clearly displayed at all times, mirror (minimum 50mm x 50mm) and whistle.
Divers to remain within 30m of their partner at all times. Divers are to stay as a pair all day and no solo diving is allowed.
Assisted catches are allowed within the pair.
Flashers may be used.
A boat flag must be displayed at all times when there are divers in the water. Boat flags must be 900mm above the gunwale and be a minimum of 750 x 600 mm in dimension.
Only berley caught on the day to be used. All berley must be on the normal Victorian competition score sheet.
Every boat must have a marine radio and mobile phone on board. Radio channels will be advised on the day of competition.
Every boat must carry the minimum legal safety gear required to visit the area they plan to dive. Including compass, approved EPIRB and parachute flare IF the intended dive location is more than 2 nautical miles off the coast.
Only specie eligible is the Yellowtail Kingfish. Only 2 Yellowtail Kingfish per pair, per day are eligible for weigh-in. (No restrictions on who shoots the fish) No pair is to present more than 2 Kingfish to the weigh master per day.
All Yellowtail Kingfish to be a minimum of 65 cm.
Points will be allocated as follows:
100 points per fish and 10 points per kilogram. No maximum weight/points. Pair with most accumulated points over the two days are the Victorian Kingfish Cup champions. Note: If the competition is held on one day only then the highest pair will win the Victorian Kingfish Cup.
Any protests must be lodged to the Spearfishing Convenor within an hour of the sign off time. Any protests will be resolved by a committee of 3 Southern Freedivers Club members competing on the day. No two of these divers are to be from the same pair or involved in the protest.
Competition duration will be 6 hours, and may be reduced at the convenors discretion if they have weather concerns.
The competition will start and finish on the water outside launch area at Walkerville at an area determined by the Convenor. There will be one designated sign on/off vessel.
Whilst boats may be anchored on the dive location a designated boat driver is highly recommended.
The Southern Freedivers First Aid Kit will be stored on one of the competing boats and competitors will be advised which vessel this is at Sign On.
Sign On:
All competitors are required to sign an indemnity form and be financial members of the Australian Underwater Federation. Juniors require parental consent and signature on consent form.
The dates for the 2012 Victorian Kingfish Cup are Saturday and Sunday the 18th and 19th February. If cancelled, the competition will be rescheduled for the following week end, Saturday and Sunday the 25th and 26th February.
A committee decision will be made as to whether the competition is to proceed on the Thursday prior to the competition at 12 noon. It will be posted on the Southern Freedivers website. Alternatively, a phone check can be done with club convenor CONTACTS TBA after 12 noon on Thursday.
A Perpetual Cup and replicas will be awarded to the Highest Scoring Pairs. There is no specific categories rather all divers are competing in the Open division.
The sign on fee for the 2012 Victorian Kingfish Cup is $60 per diver and $30 per Junior.
Each boat that signs on must advise their boat rego and a mobile phone number. They will then be designated a Boat reference # for sign on/off.

Weigh In/Presentation.
The weigh in is to be held in the car park area at Walkerville immediately after the competition has ended. On the final day of the competition a presentation will be held.
Any prizes will be allocated to “mystery weights” for Kingfish and not top place getters only. A prize will be allocated to the heaviest Kingfish also.

Please give it some serious thought and let us know if you are competing

If you have further questions at this stage ask at the meeting.Wed night.

Post subject: Re: 2012 Kingfish Cup.
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 20:16 
Fanatical Senior Member

Hi all,

It would be great to see as many competitors as possible that are intending to enter the Kingfish Cup competition at tomorrow nights meeting (Feb 1). Unfortunantly there will not be a BBQ as scheduled in the calender, but the bar will be open as usual.

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 20:13 
Fanatical Senior Member

Hi all, thanks to everyone who made it to the meeting last night, it was a fantastic turn out and great to see some new faces.

As mentioned during the meeting there will be land based/rock hopping options for those who cannot get on to a boat for the upcoming Kingfish Cup. However you still have to dive in PAIRS. I have attached a map of the area in the 'Members Lounge' where those who are planning to rock hop can scout around over the coming weeks/ends before the comp.

Also, should any line fishers or other try hard Victorian spearfishing clubs be trolling this site and see this post, go and do your homework somewhere else, I also do a fair bit of line fishing and diving outside SFD and have learnt the ropes WITHOUT poaching areas and spots from the internet or other people, if you see orange/red floats with blue and white flags on them STEER WELL CLEAR, my patience is wearing very thin with a lot of boat operators these days.

Peace and good luck!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 22:04 
General Committee Member

Rob will be in need of some help on the day so please if you are available to assist contact him on
Robert Torelli
Blue Water Hunting International Pty Ltd
PO Box 60, Narre Warren, 3805, Vic, Australia.
Ph/fax: 03 5998 1116
International ph/fax: + 613 5998 1116
Cell phone: 0417 55 99 85
www.bwhi.com.au

There are a few small jobs like sign on that will take some pressure off him on the days. Many hands make light work and a more enjoyable comp for all.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 13:49 
Fanatical Senior Member

As I mentioned at the meeting on Wednesday night 406MHz EPIRB’s need to be registered, as did the old ones.

The government body that you need to contact is;

Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Ph:1800 406 406
http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/register_now.html
email: ausbeacon@amsa.gov.au

Level 2, 82 Northbourne Avenue
Braddon ACT 2612

GPO Box 2181, Canberra ACT 2601

It is very straight forward to register you beacon and they send you a confirmation each year.

I will also post this in 'General'.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 19:17 
Fanatical Senior Member

BUMP

Could people that are keen to do this comp please state something under this thread? As we all know it has so far been an inconsistent summer with weather. The almost constant easterlies have definitely become more than annoying to most of us; however kings are still being taken by those putting in the effort.

Anyway, Rob has sent the guys behind the scenes an email recently seeking some volunteers to help run the comp. For the comp to be successful and have more of an event feel to it, several land based assistants are needed to assist with weigh in, sign on/off, BBQ, etc

Once again, can potential competitors please give an indication of their interest in this thread?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 09:11 
General Committee Member

Forms will be attached to his post shortly

Rob has arranged some reasonable prizes, (about $2000 worth) that will be given out to mystery weight fish weights with the exception of the Rob Torelli wetsuit prize (Convenors choice) and Largest Kingfish and Rock Hoppers prize.
I encourage any competitors to download now and complete PRE Saturday morning to simplify things and fast track sign on.
Forms will NOT be available on the Days So Download them and bring your own

Please also note as per part of Permit Conditions all competitors need to be financial members of the AUF and this should be HIGHLIGHTED on the forum.

Please note that also on the Permit only one Kingfish per person per day is to be speared so theoretically no second fish is allowed to be speared by same diver on same day.
Only 2 fish per pair allowed and one MUST be shot by each person according to permit. (I did not realise that but you can see in the permit itself attached, point 4 under special conditions)

I have spoken to tractor guy and he is still able to help retrieve the boats.

An official decision about the comp will be made by myself after consulting the weather and a local former abalone diver who lives at Walkerville.

I have had some volunteers come forward but am desperately/looking for a BBQ convenor who can tow trailer down and co ordinate BBQ.
If we do not get one we will go without BBQ and that would be a shame. Any volunteers?

Robert Torelli
Blue Water Hunting International Pty Ltd
PO Box 60, Narre Warren, 3805, Vic, Australia.
Ph/fax: 03 5998 1116
International ph/fax: + 613 5998 1116
Cell phone: 0417 55 99 85
www.bwhi.com.au

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 09:52 
Administrator

Here are all the sign up files and others. Download and fill out.

See attached.

Attachments:
2012_KFC_EntryForm_.pdf [140.78 KiB]
Downloaded 137 times
Southern Freedrivers Inc. Wilsons Promontory NP - APPROVED 13-02-12.pdf [593.84 KiB]
Downloaded 148 times
Boat Owner Registration.doc [25.5 KiB]
Downloaded 157 times
Kingfish Cup Final.2.docx [13.28 KiB]
Downloaded 149 times

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 10:54 
Forum Member

I cant wait! How can i sign up to Freedivers or Auf before comp?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 12:13 
Vic Records Officer

follow P.Diddy's directions below \/

Last edited by Watto on 16 Feb 2012, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 12:19 
Fanatical Senior Member

To join Club and AUF download forms from this website, have them completed and bring $80 cash or cheque made out to Southern Free Divers. You will be covered from the moment you pay the SFD representative even though SFD has not had time to send it on to the AUF (like a cover note in any insurance).
So if you want to enter and are not a SFD-AUF member you will need to bring three completed forms for membership and one form for comp entry. Total cost $80 + $60 =$140. Junior $30 + $40 = $70

By the way its looking good at the moments but we will wait for RT's call Thursday night

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 15:30 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hi Guys,
Unfortunately I can't come to the prom this time :cry: .
Good luck to all! Have fun and catch some monsters!
Don't forget to post some pics.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 23:11 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hold your horses people! Just sitting here with RT looking at the weather, as usualy things have changed , weather ISN'T looking good now :/ we are diving tomorrow and will look at the weather again tomorrow night

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 10:35 
Novice Member

Hi all, i recently attended my first members meeting this month and whilst i cannot attent the KFC this weekend, if it is delayed, i will put my hand up to bring the BBQ down and take care of the BBQ duties - probably a good way to meet everybody and pickup some tips.

I'll keep my eyes on the forum for news either way.

Mark.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 18:01 
Vic Records Officer

due to a less then average weather prediction for the weekend Saturday has been cancelled and a decision on diving sunday will be made tomorrow afternoon...stay tuned!!!