Fanatical Senior Member

61st NATIONAL SPEARFISHING TITLES
Sydney January 12 to 18, 2013.
DRAFT B Sect Rules.(V2). – as at 15 October 2012

Convenor
Adrian Wayne
Mob (0418) 282 696

Control Centre, Registrations & Weigh Ins
SSAFA fishing club premises @ Cnr Hastings Ave & Macquarie St Chifley in Southern Sydney.

Registration
Sat 12th Jan, between 10.00am & 4.00 pm (ONLY) - at the Control Centre

Memberships
AUF & USFA financial members & pre advised overseas competitors are eligible to enter & be recognised
(trophies not to leave Australia). All entrants to exhibit their respective association member card.

Expected Competitor Cost
· Sign on $300.00 includes all comp expenses, weigh in, BBQ & soft drinks, fish transport, prizes,
trophies, t-shirts etc. BUT excludes boat costs & presentation dinner/drinks.
· Depending on number of entrants boats may cost $100.00 per day per competitor.
· Juniors & Sub Juniors receive 50% off the sign on fee.

Schedule of Events

Day One, Sun 13th.
Spear open + state nominated pairs, + Inter-pacific self nominated pairs + masters, veterans, seniors,
intermediates, ladies, juniors & sub-juniors.

Day Two, Mon 14th.
As for day one except state nominated pairs are replaced by state nominated four (4) person teams.

Day Three, Tues 15th.
As for day two except no teams event.

Days Four & Five. Wed 16th & Thurs 17th
Swim race & Film-fish, hoping to hold these two events over (or) on day(s) four & five subject to
whether the ladies and/or junior and/or sub-junior events are all held over days one, two & three as
we may need to finish spearfishing for these categories on days four/five.

It has been expressed to me that it may be safer to cater for all or any of these three spearing categories
(ladies and/or junior and/or sub-juniors) allowing a responsible person to swim with each competitor (no
spotting or caddying). This would not be my preference but I'd rather call it once I know who is
competing. My other option with ladies, juniors and/or sub-juniors is to somehow identify their float/flag
& allocate one safety boat to look after them if held over days 1, 2 & 3.

Again I'll call it once I know who's competing.

Self nominated Interpacific pairs
This will be competed over days 1, 2 & 3 by individuals who nominate each other as a pair on registration
day, only persons who are genuine in that if successful they will be available together to fish the
Interpacific over 6 days on a live aboard out of Gladstone, Qld, June 2013.

Persons self nominating should ensure that they are equally compatible to dive to the depths required in
the Capricorn Bunker Group and if needed either person could respond to emergency rescue of the other
diver at depth. Both partners should also respect each other’s opinions and ability. The Interpacfic is a
one-up & one-down event over two consecutive six-hour days – it strenuous and difficult.

This event is not for fun so if you are not able to attend Interpacific don't nominate. Should one half of a
pair who was successful pull out legitimately the other person may be considered for selection as an
Interpacific reserve. These self nominated pairs will fish individually as normal & their total individual
spearing scores added together to establish positions 1, 2, 3 etc. for Interpacific. If there is no supported
valid objection then this criteria will determine our Australian, Interpacific team with the national
selection committee having the final say on selection once the results are in. With regard to Interpacific
Ladies & Juniors, unfortunately no other nations have juniors. I have received good advice that NZ and
possibly Hawaii each may have a Ladies team. So, come on Ladies, we need you this National Titles for
selection.

Accommodation
Sydney is a big place with lots of varying accommodation, although it’s peak time. Try something on the
southern side if possible or south-west & if you get stuck please contact me.

Location of Dive Sites & Type of Competition
Spearfishing events will be chosen from 6 sites covering the Sydney coastline in the North at the Bluefish
end of North Head to Marley Beach in the south. Except that if bad conditions exist, Long Reef & Long Bay
are set aside as shore based events. We expect to run a boat event where competitors will be
transported to a common central location in a zone, where competitors will start & finish at the boats.
Safety Boats will be in attendance. This is a swim event & no traveling on land is allowed. Fish pick-ups,
TBA. If I have enough volunteered boats & skippers we won't need charter boats which lowers boat costs
but that depends on volunteers yet to be found & for the number of competitors yet to be known.
PLEASE, State Chairs & Club Presidents, Go To The Trouble To Find Out The Number of Competitors Who
Will Be Coming From your Area & PLEASE let me know by MID NOV at the LATEST.

Fish will be bagged, kept wet & transferred to weigh in at Control Centre, weighed & then to be the
property of the event organizers with the majority going to charity. BBQ & Soft drinks will be supplied.

Scoring & Eligible Fish. A modified Sydney score-sheet will be provided shortly & only the fish & sizes
shown on those sheets will be eligible. Scoring will be as per A Section rules, 100 points per specie + 10
points/kg. Note that some minimum lengths may apply, TBA.

Safety & Equipment. As per “A” Section rules except that in NSW, the alpha/blue & white flag MUST be
used on a personal float. No Alpha Flag - No Fishing - No Exceptions. Floats must not be capable of giving
swimming assistance to competitors, No Exceptions.

Fin swim & Film fish, as per “A” Section rules, other TBA.

Presentation will be the Thurs or Fri afternoon/night TBA.

I hope that I have covered enough detail for now & maps/score-sheets will follow once we have a
committee get together soon & once I have a better idea of numbers of competitors & volunteers.

I know this is late in the piece but remember it only became NSW to host mid August this year & I would
truly like to see everyone get behind the event & stir up members to compete, even for the experience of
Sydney diving which can be great in January. If anyone needs more or requires clarification please don't
hesitate to contact me, thanks.

Adrian Wayne
adrian.wayne48@gmail.com
0418 282 696

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 03:18 
Fanatical Senior Member

BUMP....

Hi all, please indicate (On here) if you are competing in the Nationals ASAP.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 12:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

I'm going ( if I can get accommodation) and I believe Trent may try and go as well.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 14:13 
Fanatical Senior Member

Hi all,

I just recieved an update regarding the Nationals and have edited my original post at the start of this thread. Please note that numerous corrections & changes have been made so persons need to read whole document.

Once again, please indicate if you are attending the nationals, including women who may gain Interpacific selection.

Regards,

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 22:57 

I'm a maybe, just waiting a week or two to hear about possible other things I'll be doing.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2012, 22:23 
Fanatical Senior Member

Hi everyone,

Here are the final rules and scoresheet for the 2013 Sydney nationals.

I have some maps and will post them also early this week.

Attachments:
NAT_ScoreSheet.pdf [145.28 KiB]
Downloaded 148 times
NAT_B Section Rules.pdf [79.7 KiB]
Downloaded 163 times