It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:37

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Fucken Sambar!
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 01:06 
Fanatical Senior Member

Posted a thread ages ago about my old mans property in Gippsland but the links not working so I'll start again!

My Dad's land has a heap of Sambar on and surrounding it. Have seen them from time to time but never when I'm actually hunting them, I have however been within 10ft of them but the thick scrub makes it hard and noisy! Tracked one for ages, steaming sign and all but obviously not close enough.
Hit it up with Nas on the weekend and again close but no love. Sign everywhere, 50ft in any direction on almost the entire property and you'll find it!

We need help!

Can someone run through a general description on how they go about getting some lead into one! Long shots aren't an option so I'm more interested in scent cover, camo, tree stands or hides near a well worn track, best place to set up etc Hunting them close range!
I know which tracks take the stag thru the rub tree's, where the scrapes are, beds etc

I've done a lot of research and I know I might never get onto one but knowing that they're there in numbers is driving me nuts! I was talking to a guy who owns a red deer farm and runs guided hunts in the area and he was telling me that if he could hunt anywhere for Sambar it'd be there as 20yrs ago they made all the land surrounding the property National park and that's where he used to go as it had the most healthy Sambar population!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

Post subject: Re: Fucken Sambar!
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 12:04 
Vic Records Officer

Is there any area on the property at all that isn't over 5ft of growth?? If not make a couple of tree stands mate.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 16:08 
Fanatical Senior Member

Alot of the property isn't overgrown too much, just noisy as fuck and too many places for em to hide. The stand I've started is overhanging a gully which is well worn but we're gonna build more. Should I build em near the rub trees for the stag or along the track leading up to it?

I figure get there a couple of hours before sunset and just sit and wait. Would I have any success with a well hidden hide alongside a track?

Only wanna hear from people who've used these techniques, I've read all I can on it!

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 09:33 
Vic Records Officer

Noisy as fuck and dry as on the ground??? Go buy a pair of holeproof explorer socks and don't wear your shoes ;)

With your tree stands don't go too close to where the deer will be walking or rubbing or wallowing as it will become curious! As for hides along tracks I doubt they would work for samba as theyre smart when they wanna be.

Is there any grass areas? If so go in before sunrise and sit in the bush at least a few hundred meters from those areas and sit and wait for them to come walking back in.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 11:44 
General Committee Member

Just make sure you don't sit on top of a snake :P

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 11:26 
General Committee Member

Here's how you do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... c5dKqoFtKk

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 09:30 
Forum Member

Hey Rhino,

I remember your post a while back and a few discussions we had... Heres the deal, Sunshine and I will come up with you one weekend next year and show you how to go about it ;) will get one on the deck. You got yourself a trailcam yet to see what else you go there? could be some fallow poking about to.. Also, there is alot you could learn re Sambar on ozdeer dot com

mladz

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 12:02 
Fanatical Senior Member

Tree stand over wallows seems to be the way alot of bowhunters
Are doing it, one of my mates smacked a stag at around 10m standing in the
Middle of the wallow!

Your lucky to have a private property to hunt them!
Grab a bow or rifle and go and knock one!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 17:11 
Expert Member (SFD)

check ya pms

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 22:29 
Fanatical Senior Member

Nas bought a Trailcam, left it out for almost 3 weeks and had some luck!

Plenty more pics but this was the best, cam is back out in a different spot so hopefully there'll be some of a stag soon too!

Thanks for the offer Mladz but it's taken me 10yrs to talk the old man into letting me shoot there so there's no hope of bringing blokes he doesn't know on to shoot. Got the heads up on a few local spots from some experienced boys tho, more than welcome to come out and have a play there with us.

Attachments:
php93LU20AM.jpg
php93LU20AM.jpg [ 50.93 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 00:15 
Expert Member (SFD)

That deserves to be pelted in the head with a 30-06 bullet then cut up for its amazing meat ;) keep up the work rhino. Your hard work will adventualy pay off!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 19:13 
Novice Member

hay rhino,

i just read this thread and being a hunter myself here is my 2 cents worth, not to sure about hides or tree stands haven't used them my self but as far as scent cover and camo i use 100% eucalyptus oil and i also chew on the odd eucalyptus lolly as well, i try not to use much deodorant or tooth paste but depends on how long your gone for, i also avoid fires at night but not everyone does. camo, i dont know what you have but simple army type camo from aussie disposals is good only thing is when its new its noisy so i bought old surplus stuff and its cheap some of that stuff the guns shop sell can be expensive, doesn't matter what the pattern or colour is as long as its a broken pattern samber are color blind anyway.

having said all that im still yet to shoot a deer as i want my first one to be a stag, i don't want to shoot a doe and scare off any stags in the area, seen alot of does and spikers over the last 2 years i've even stalked my way into a group of 3 does and 2 spikers got about 15m from them before they got spooked. i would tell you what my stalking methods are but i dont really have any i look for fresh signs follow it and hope. my hunting buddy shot a nice 18inch stag last season.

any way hope this helps a little, good luck

Ben.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 22:34 
Fanatical Senior Member

Cheers for the info Ben, had some 3d camo but flogged it off last year with my bow. Still got my old army camos tho so that's what I'm using for now. Persistence and patience is where it's at I reckon. When collecting the cam I stumbled to within 20ft of one and would never have known had it not bolted!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 20:47 
Expert Member (SFD)

Looking for a good hunting forum. Seen a few but don't no which one to sign upto. Ideas. Preferably a Vic site.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 10:38 
Fanatical Senior Member

the best one I have found is aushunt mate.
Very nice people and alot of them!

Although it's aus wide, if you ask a question expect an answer within the hour